Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Different Encode and Decode PL Tones on Repeaters

Dwayne_AB6A
Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
We are seeing repeaters adopting separate PL codes for Encode and Decode as in the example below - Is there any plans for Flex to add support for independent tones?

Answers

• Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    perhaps you could have the radio in split mode, instead of repeater mode, set transmit pl in one slice, then set ctcss in receive slice

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    n 50 years on FM I don't think I have owned an HT or mobile rig that could do that.  
  • Dwayne_AB6A
    Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    A number of newer radios allow a different tone to be entered for receive... Beofangs as an example. Unfortunately there are repeater ops who are starting to adopt different input/output tones. It's a minor inconvenience not to have, but it would be nice.
  • Dwayne_AB6A
    Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I like the idea!
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    I get that different I/O tones can be set, but why would a repeater operator ever do that?
    Len, KD0RC
  • Fernando
    Fernando Member
    edited April 2020
    In my repeater day's i used different pl's on the repeater output to link to some other repeaters linked system, i even used dpl (digital pl) on some cases. Sometimes its also used to keep jammers out, they decode the output pl and unless they know the input pl they won't be able to key the repeater so they are being fooled. So there is various reasons why  these are just some.
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Could you name a Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood model that provides different output and input PL tones?
  • Fernando
    Fernando Member
    edited April 2020
    Most if not all the commercial radios (not ham) out of the big three manufacturers will let you program different pl's for input and out. Lets go back to the Flex radio now.

• Dwayne_AB6A
    Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    PAPA repeater system in SoCal is extensive and are moving to split frequencies. The repeater handbook as shown in the original post clearly lists repeaters that have already adopted split frequencies. It’s happening irrespective of how you feel about it or what radios don’t have it. It’s a simple software tweak to support it.
  • Andrew Rodland
    Andrew Rodland Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Kenwood D710, D72, and D74 all support it ("Cross Tone" mode "T/C"). Several Yaesus (FTM-350, FTM-400, VX-7 at least) also support it, but they don't seem to have a way to front-panel program it; you have to PC-program a channel to get different RX and TX tones.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.