Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6700 humming issue

Tom
Tom Member ✭✭
I have strong hum coming from my Bose Companion 2 Series III.

After playing with the setup I come to the following conclusion: hum is coming from Flex radio 6700. 

The hum stops only when I turn off my Flex. The hum is just reduced to a certain extent If I just disconnect audio cable from PC or/and Flex. Obviously audio cables act as antennas but real source is - Flex.

Tried with different cables, different power supplies for both radio and Bose, different computers, etc.

Any idea?

Many thanks in advance,

Tom, 9A4T

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    Sounds like it could be a ground loop.  How are you powering the Bose speakers?  Are you using the Bose switching supply, or powering from the same 13.8 V source that powers the radio?  If you have a 1:1 audio transformer that you can use to isolate the audio output, that might be something to try.

Len, KD0RC
  • William Boutwell
    edited April 2020
    I had a similar problem with my 6700 and Bose speakers and found two issues: 1) the phono jack on the 6700 has very weak connections and the plug on the audio cable slips out VERY easily; 2) the phono jack on my Bose speakers (different model) is inset a little and phono plug doesn’t go in far enough to be fully seated. I had to trim some of the plastic/rubber of the edge of the connector to get it fully seated. Of course there could be other issues. Good luck.
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    True for weak connector on Flex, but I have hum even when Flex is not connected to the Bose, just running in the same room.
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I tried original Bose PS and two different external PS including one that provides DC for Flex.

Isolation transformer I don't have at hand, but hum is here even when Flex is not connected to the Bose speaker.

Hum is eliminated only when Flex is turned off.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020

You might try using the computer speaker and see if the hum goes away.
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    When PC only is connected to the Bose there is no ham providing Flex is not running. If Flex is running hum is in the speakers even if they are not connected to the Flex.

If speakers are wired to the Flex, hum is only stronger.
  • KD0RC
    edited April 2020
    Are the Bose speakers physically close to the Flex?  I am wondering if it is magnetic pick up of some kind.
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Flex is sitting on my PA that is sitting on the wooden shelf, Bose is downstairs on the desk, maybe 1m and PA in between.
  • Steve Sterling
    Steve Sterling Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    as said before, sounds like a ground loop.

• Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    It is almost 200 mV difference between Flex chassis and - connector at power supply. 
    It seems a lot to me.
  • KD0RC
    edited April 2020
    OK, so it sounds like a ground loop.  Put everything in normal operating mode so that you have the hum.  Now start disconnecting things until the hum quits (or gets worse).  That should point you in the direction of the ground loop.  Alternatively, you could start grounding things to see if that works.  You might want to start with unplugging the laptop power supply (i.e. run off internal battery).
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Install audio isolation transformer on output of the radio,  had the same problem, feeding powered speakers.  Ground loop through the AC.  Now super quiet, no hum or noise.
  • Stephen Thomason
    edited June 2020
    Pat, what audio isolation transformer did you use and from where did you source it?
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I had this same issue it turned out my KX3 was plugged into the 2nd jack of the Bose speakers. I now leave that cable unplugged from the KX3 and all is fine.

Is it possible you have a 2nd audio device cable hooked to the computer perhaps?

Ian

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.