Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Avast Anti-Virus update changes firewall setting - again

Logan KE7AZ
Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
It's happened before according to the search function but I hate going thru old posts with years of old info just to find the latest.
The recent Avast update changed its firewall setting from Private to Public network and shut off local network access to my 6600.  Don't ask about the adrenaline rush(not the good kind) when I couldn't connect to my radio, the reboots and resets, and the hassle of hooking up a laptop to isolate the problem.  I hope this post saves someone else the trouble.  Now to restore all of my settings from my backup.  I think an adult beverage is in order...

Comments

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I use the Premium version of Avast which just updated a few minutes ago. No problems connecting to the Flex 6700 after the update.

I did experience the network change a year or 2 ago and posted about it.
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Time to uninstall Avast! I did, and I've found the firewall in my router does the job just fine! Most routers have a fairly straightforward process for setting up firewall rules. Provided you have access to the router that is...
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2020
    Not only Avast.  I have seen Windows updates do this.  Sorry that you had to deal with it, but at least you got it sorted out.

Since AV comes with Windows whey not use Windows Defender for free.  

When someone can't connect to their radio locally, I always ask:

1. Firewall on or off?
    2. NIC card set to public or private
    3. Try another LAN cable, Network Switch port, etc.
    4. What else changed -- something always changed.  
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    What are you using for virus scans?
  • Andy F5VAI
    Andy F5VAI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Logan, I would suggest that you uninstall AVAST.  Windows 10 has come a long way during the last 2 years and the built in anti-virus (Defender) has improved to such a point that it is not necessary to have a separate anti-virus. 

I am in IT.  In my office we have about 15 computers all now use the built in Windows anti-virus and we have not had any problems.  In fact I would say that since we uninstalled the external anti virus software about 2 years ago , we have had far less problems all round.  

73 Andy F5VAI  (G3HCU)
  • Logan KE7AZ
    Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have been considering doing just that. I just have to untangle myself from my subscriptions. Logan, KE7AZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.