Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

A CAT question

Ross Biggar
Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
On CAT I am showing only 3 comports but Device manager shows about 10.
Should I delete the ones in device mgr that CAT cant see or just dont worry about them.

Comments please
Ross ZL1WN

Answers

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Cat uses a number like COM 5 and has a corresponding COM 105.  The two work together under CAT, don't go deleting extra ports because most aren't EXTRA.  Erika DD 
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    Hi Ross, on my SmartSDR CAT, I only show two.  One is a serial port for Slice A and the other is a TCP port for slice A.  Device manager shows my two Flex ports (COM4 and COM104 as mentioned by Erika) and my USB to serial adapter (COM3).  I would not delete anything. You may have those ports defined for other apps or hardware.  Anything prefixed with FlexRadio Virtual Port should not be deleted unless the Flex helpdesk recommends it.
    Len, KD0RC
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thanks for the comments 
     but just to show the problem better.
    CAT shows only 4 ports 17,18,20 and 24
    Device mgr shows com 4, 5,6 and all others to com 18 plus com 20 ,21,22,23,24 and all the corresponding ports.
    So why doesn't Cat show all the ports listed in device mgr?

Ross
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    The Flex developers would have to answer that one, but my guess is that the CAT window only shows what is currently defined to the Flex to avoid confusion.

Len
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    NO!  NEVER DELETE ANY FlexRadio COM PORTS FROM DEVICE MANAGER.  EVER!!!!!!

This is not the way to remove FlexRado com ports as this will leave residual registry entries that can prevent the port from being used in the future.  Remove com ports using the CAT utility.

CAT creates com ports in pairs to create a virtual cable with two endpoints.  If you delete one of the endpoints, the cable is corrupted.

I suspect you have orphaned com ports and you should use the HelpDesk procedure How to Re-associate CAT ports with Virtual Serial Ports to resolve the problem.
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thanks Tim, I hope you are well. NZ is in total lockdown  for the next 4 weeks.
    I will check the help desk. Stay safe
    Ross
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Tim, I hope you are ok still.
    I did what you suggested and it worked perfectly.
    THANKS
    Stay safe

best wishes
    ross

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.