Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WNB doesn't seem to do anything?

2»

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited March 2020
    WNB is applied before AGC-T so adjusting AGC-T will not affect WNB.

Dave wo2x
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Bill, that seems a simple conclusion except that it seems to match the examples posted on the web. The second video is rather extreme and is certainly an arcing HT line but the example I first posted is a reduction in wide band across the spectrum noise. I think this should have some effect as it is shown in the video.
  • James Del Principe
    edited March 2020
    Dave, thank you for that information. A good thing to know.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited March 2020
    Yes. Same with the DAX I&Q output. DAX IQ is not affected by AGC-T or AGC (fast, medium, slow).

Dave wo2x

• James Del Principe
    edited March 2020
    Also good to know.   How did you find this out?    Inside contact?   A great crystal ball?    Inquiring minds want to know.      73, Jim
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited March 2020
    By observing the I&Q output into Skimmer. You can watch while adjusting AGC-T or AGC and there is no change in Skimmer.

No crystal ball needed :-) Although I wouldn't mind owning one.

Dave wo2x

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    James, the reason I said that is because the WNB is very effective and works wonders, at least for me. Some time 40M is not even usable if it were not for WNB. So on the correct type of noise is works. Wrong noise? it does not.
  • James Del Principe
    edited March 2020
    Bill, I don't doubt you and don't disagree. It's just when I saw that first video of the overall reduction in band noise and the signals just popping up, I wondered why I could not experience that as well. It sure looks like what I see but apparently, I am wrong. I'll include the link here so you can see what I am referencing. Thanks for all your input.  Jim     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XSbbZMvIbU
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited March 2020
    Jim What you can do while sheltering in place (what we need to do in NJ) is try shutting down all breakers in your house to see if the noise is coming from your own house. WNB works on some noise but it is a band aid. The true fix is to identify the source of noise and resolve it (if possible). I’ve had the power company fix insulators on 3 poles and fix over a half dozen bad street lights. Dave wo2x
  • Wilbur Doolittle
    Wilbur Doolittle Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Half way there keep goin we got ur back!
    Willie AB8WD
  • James Del Principe
    edited March 2020
    Yep. Sheltering in place here also. county has us shut down except for essential business.....We have to social distance from the deer and bears.   So that gives me time to tinker with this noise issue. I am aware of some sources but they are not across an entire band.   My under cabinet lights put out a lot of junk on 20 M but not the other bands.  My clothes washer puts out a wide band on 40 Meters.....    but the across the entire band with these devices shut off still shows an S meter level of 4.5 to 5 or about -100 dBM.   I had expected the noise level to drop with the WNB on as it did in the videos but does not. Tomorrow I will shut down the remaining breakers as I did some time ago. At that time it was traced to the light dimmers. I have eliminated most of them, changing to a regular toggle switch. I do have HT lines about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile from here running through the woods. The fun goes on.....    73 All, Jim
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    So, at Orlando, I talked with Steve Hicks about the WNB. He explained that it was developed at the Austin facility because there was a power pole that was arcing and making a raucous buzz. The WNB dropped that noise 25dB. The WNB is only effective on that particular type of noise.

I also saw the youtube video and it was one of the reasons I bought the Flex. It doesn't work on my noise, but I still prefer the Flex to any other radio I have had.

As a side note, the RF tracking notch filters are only effective at audio frequencies. They track the RF frequency, but filter the audio frequency, so they don't affect the noise level measured on the s-meter or panafall.
  • James Del Principe
    edited April 2020
    Thank you, John. I love the operation and display of the Flex. I also have among my other rigs, a TS 990 S which costs a bunch more but I only use the 6500. However, the NR actually works on the Kenwood.    It does not actually have a WNB.
    OK, so I conclude that my power line noise is not the kind of noise the WNB is effective for.    I don't see the tracking notch filters work either but I'll experiment with them further. I brought in the notch for AM carriers and parked it right on top of an offending carrier. Then selected very deep.   Results?   NADA.   nothing.    73, Jim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.