Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Band Edge TX Inhibit with 2m Transverter IF

Options
W9LS/HK4LS
W9LS/HK4LS Member
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I recently put a 2m transverter from Transverters Store on-line with my 6300.  I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of this inexpensive unit in terms of clean output, sensitivity and LO frequency stability.

I've been operating with it on FM for the past few weeks while I figure out how to get my weak signal antennas back up in the air.  Two days ago, I tried to check in to my local club net on 2m and couldn't transmit.  What I found was that TX is now inhibited when the IF goes above 29.7 MHz (RF>145.7 MHz).  Below this frequency, operation is the same as it was before.  I didn't change any software, firmware or turf files.

My question is:  How do I reopen the allowed TX frequencies on the transverter port?  8 mW into a terminated line is certainly not a regulatory problem, so I must have corrupted something somewhere.

73 de W9LS - Glen

Answers

• Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    maybe check the radio setup, to confirm region is set to USA ??
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Flex hardware manual says the TX range is 100KHZ to 54MHZ on the transverter port.   Other TX ports would be restricted to the appropriate ham frequencies.

Alan
    WA9WUD 
  • Gary Zabriskie
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Glen, this is Gary Zabriskie N7ARE. I am on the Beehive Utah Net, usually mobile here from southwestern Utah. I am wondering if you might assist me in figuring how to get audio to work on remote ? I was recently given a like new Flex 5000a. It works fine in the shack but I can't seem to get audio when running remote to PC with Teamviewer.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    Options
    The region (TURF file) does not affect the XVTR port.  It is always unlocked.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Most transverters on 2m are only 2 MHz wide.  To operate on the FM portion of the band, you have the change the 2m frequency to 146 MHz and then change IF (usually to 30 MHz)  so that the LO is correct (usually 116 MHz) for your transverter
  • W9LS/HK4LS
    W9LS/HK4LS Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all the help!  This problem was fixed accidentally.  All my remote equipment is controlled via Sonoff switches.  When I shut down one day, I mistakenly disabled the DC power to the radio before I disabled the radio (oops).  When I rebooted the radio, the problem was gone.  Now this problem sort of randomly comes and goes.

I now have 3 problems that pop up randomly:

1) Xvrtr port inhibits TX at IF band edge (when IF goes above 29.7 MHz in this case)
    2) No RF output at HF.  Everything looks and acts normal (waterfall, VOX, etc.) but no RF output indicated on the bar graph and no actual output.
    3) No RX audio with Smartlink remote.

All of these issues can be fixed with (sometimes multiple) radio reboots.  I don't know what the root cause might be, but at least I'm in the USA where the equipment is and not remote in HK4-land.  Silver lining to sheltering in place!

73 de Glen - W9LS/HK4LS

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.