Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No transmit audio in WSJT-X

W7OMM
W7OMM Member
edited August 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hello!  I am one among the many who has had problems getting my 6400's TX audio to work with WSJT-X (in my case, v2.1.2).  I am running SmartSDR v3.1.8 in Windows 10.  I have not tried an uninstall and re-install of SmartSDR, but I am willing to do that if I can get detailed instructions.

I have not had much time to play with my 6400 since I got it last spring, but I recall that it worked great in Windows 7 with older versions of all the software involved.  The same PC has had its OS updated to Windows 10 since then.

Here's what I know:

1. DAX blue buttons are enabled both in the slice and on the right of the SmartSDR window.

2. I start Slice-Master v0.10.7c, then start WSJT-X from there.

3. The DAX AUDIO RX 1 and DAX AUDIO TX devices are selected for input and output, respectively, in WSJT-X.

4. When I try to Tune or Enable Transmit in WSJT-X, PTT works - the 6400's power button turns red - but no audio is transmitted, the level is 0.

5. If I change the WSJT-X audio transmit device to the PC speakers, I hear audio.

6. I see no DAX driver errors in the DAX window.

7. What's interesting is that, if I quit WSJT-X and start fldigi from Slice-Master, if I click Tune in fldigi I DO get transmit audio in SmartSDR - ONCE.  After that, if I disable Tune and try to Tune again, the transmit audio level is 0.  I can't quit fldigi normally after that, I have to force it to exit.  (fldigi has the same audio devices set up as WSJT-X does.)

8. I tried a hard reset of the 6400, but that had no effect.  Rebooting the PC, or restarting WSJT-X, also had no effect.

Thanks in advance for any pointers on how to correct this!

Claudia, W7OMM

Comments

• Wilbur Doolittle
    Wilbur Doolittle Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    screenshots usually work better
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    is the power slider turned up on the right side of the WSJT program itself (main screen)?
  • Ross (KE4BCN)
    Ross (KE4BCN) Member
    edited March 2020
    I had something similar happen to me yesterday and it turned out that my high cut  tx filter had changed to a low value. It worked fine in fldigi but in ft8 it did not. Only way I figured it out was by clicking in low lower part of the ft8 window by accident. I then set high cut to a higher number.
  • W7OMM
    W7OMM Member
    edited March 2020
    Yes, power is at max on that screen.
  • W7OMM
    W7OMM Member
    edited March 2020
    In the PHNE tab in SmartSDR, I set High Cut to 4000 (it had been 2900).  Still no TX audio.  Thanks, though....
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Claudia,

Narrow down your problem by loading only WSJT-X. If this works, add Fldigi. If that works, add Slice-Master. If that fails, the communication between Fldigi and Slice-Master could be messing up the control commands between them. From your description, I don't think you have a Flex problem.

Good luck,

Roy - W5TKZ   
  • W7OMM
    W7OMM Member
    edited March 2020
    Roy,

Thanks for your input.  I loaded up WSJT-X (no Slice-Master, no fldigi) and got both CAT and PTT working.  I still don't have any transmit audio.  No error messages I can see in any window.

I am receiving FT8 signals fine.  

Audio driver issue?

Thanks again,

Claudia, W7OMM
  • bobby
    bobby Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Did you make sure your mic was turned on in windows 10 when its upgraded the default setting is off just a thought.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    ??? MIc with WSJT-X ???
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Good Claudia, some progress.

Set aside any driver issue for the moment. Open the DAX control panel and take a look at the TX button. It should be blue. Now look at IQ Streams button #1 at the bottom of the panel. It should also be blue. (If any are yellow, let me know).

Set WSJT for calling a CQ. Leave the DAX panel up so you can observe TX label "Streaming" switch to "Transmitting" when you call CQ. Please use a dummy load if possible. Set the TX gain about 45 and look for a red bar on the TX indicator during transmit.

Please let me know what you find.

Roy - W5TKZ

P.S. What are you using to measure your RF output. 
  • W7OMM
    W7OMM Member
    edited March 2020
    TX involves audio playback/output, RX involves audio input (i.e., what mic or line in also involves).  RX is working fine for me.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited March 2020
    Claudia,

if you are still having problems with WSJT-X TX audio and would like remote assistance I am offering to help via Team Viewer. That way you can see what I am doing.

if you are interested I have time free after 12:30 p.m. Eastern tomorrow or Tuesday.

Contact me at my email listed on QRZ and I can call you.

Dave wo2x
  • W7OMM
    W7OMM Member
    edited March 2020
    Roy,

DAX Panel:  TX button is blue.  The IQ Stream Button #1 was disabled.  I enabled it, and the button turned blue, with a frequency next to it.

With a dummy load and TX Gain in DAX set to 46, WSJT called CQ.  The TX Stream on the DAX panel does change to Transmitting.  There is no output shown on the TX indicator (no red bar).

In SmartSDR, RF Power in the P/CW tab is set to 18 watts.

The way I have been measuring my RF output is to look at the "RF Pwr" bar in the P/CW tab.  It has been 0, with no activity on the SWR bar, for these tests.  I can get activity on both the RF Pwr and SWR bars by clicking on TUNE in SmartSDR.  When I TUNE in SmartSDR, the TX Stream in the DAX panel shows Transmitting, but no output shows there, even there there is RF Pwr in SmartSDR.  (Is that what I should expect?  I'm guessing yes, since no audio is coming in to SmartSDR for TX - SmartSDR is generating the TX signal itself.)

Thanks again,

Claudia, W7OMM

• Boyan LZ2BE
    Boyan LZ2BE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020

Claudia,
    is DAX button in P/CW section of SSDR selected

73 Boyan
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Good morning Claudia,

It looks good at this point. Let's move on to the audio setups in WSJT and Win10.
    This is my WSJT Audio setup. Yours should be the same.

By the way, I get these screenshots using the Snipping Tool in Win10.  

Now lets look at the sound settings in Win10.
    At the bottom of your desktop screen, on the right hand side, RIGHT click the speaker icon.
    This will bring up a window and you want to LEFT click "Open Sound settings".
    LEFT click on Sound Control Panel.

This will bring up the panel.

My DAX Audio TX shows green when I use tune on WSJT. Use care when making any changes to this panel. You may have to close all apps and restart.

Well that's it from this end. I don't know of anything else to check.

Consider taking David Decoons (wo2x) up on his offer if you are still having problems.

Stay Healthy,

Roy - W5TKZ

• W7OMM
    W7OMM Member
    edited March 2020
    Yes, it is.

Claudia, W7OMM

• W7OMM
    W7OMM Member
    edited March 2020
    Thanks Roy,

DAX Audio TX shows all green bars on TX, with zero output in SmartSDR.

I'll get in touch with Dave - thanks for all your help!

I hope that you and everyone here stays healthy, too....

Claudia, W7OMM
  • W7OMM
    W7OMM Member
    edited March 2020
    Dave WO2X helped me with this - there were some mis-named audio drivers in Device Manager, plus I had to uninstall/re-install the DAX drivers, and change some settings in the Sound Control Panel.  TX audio works fine now.

Thanks to Dave and everyone else who helped!

Claudia, W7OMM

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭

I know this thread is a little old, but I am having the same problem as Claudia, i.e., no transmit audio from WSJT-X. My station is a Flex 6300, SmartSDR version 2.7.6, Windows 10. It has been working flawlessly with FT8 for over a year until yesterday. I haven't added any hardware or software but I was following an online tutorial on WSJT-X and I may have accidentally changed something.

I am not getting transmit audio. The radio keys but there's silence. DAX shows streaming on transmit, just a steady line. In an effort to fix the problem and eliminate any DAX driver problems, I upgraded to SmartSDR 2.7. 6. Here are my screen shots:

DAX is set to channel 1 on the Flex. I know I am missing something, I just can't figure out what it is. HELP!

Steve, W6SDM

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭

Oh, and also, the speakers are set to Realtek High Definition Audio, where they've always been.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Steve, it looks like you don't have IQ stream 1 turned on. Click the "1" button in the IQ Streams area of DAX and see if that fixes your problem.

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

Len, I turned on the IQ stream 1 button and still have the same result.

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭

Also, I don't have any other apps running, i.e., slice master, GridTracker, loggers, etc.

• David Decoons, wo2x

Steve,

E-mail me and I’ll send my cell number. I see a couple of things that might be causing your problem.

my call at ARRL dot net

Dave wo2x

• You have a high cut on TX of 1650Hz but you are trying to TX on 1800Hz. This may not be helping and, for example, I have high cut (for DIGU obviously) at 3100Hz so that the whole TX band + a bit spare is covered.

The RX filter at 2kHz will not affect TX but similarly should cover the band i.e be set to 3kHz.

• David Decoons, wo2x

I just got off TeamViewer with Steve. It was indeed the TX high cut set @ 1650 instead of 3000. I also set his radio to Data/pkt in the radio tab so it switches to DIGIU when switching bands in FT8.

Dave wo2x

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭

Erik, that was the problem. I just spent some time with David, WO2X, on the phone and he helped me fix that as well as tweak a couple of other things. Thank you very much for the replies and assistance.

Steve, W6SDM

• Joe
    Joe Member
    Steve, please send me your email address; I have the exact same issue and would like to talk to you about it. Joe Mirsky, K5LJB. Email: mirskyjoe@gmail.com.
  • David Decoons, wo2x

Joe,

contact me at my call at ARRL dot net and I will help.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.