Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW settings for delay

Steve Killeen
Steve Killeen Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR API
Just got my 6600 and setting up my paddle. 

Can someone guide me on the following settings: What should they be set for ? I operate using N1MM+ and a Paddle

Delay ?
TX Filter low cut and high cut ?
RX equalizer ?

I'm also using the ATU and leave it ON.

Thanks a bunch

Steve
VE2FD

Answers

• Robert-KP4Y
    Robert-KP4Y Member
    edited February 2020
    Be ready for loud T/R relay clicking on CW if you need to leave the ATU engaged. So, as opposed to Elecraft, Icom with the IC-7610, and Kenwood, Flex Radio hasn’t been able to figure out how to provide silent pin diode T/R switching when the ATU is engaged. They claim to do it to minimize spurious; however, the K3 is one of the cleanest radios around.
  • Steve Killeen
    Steve Killeen Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I noticed the ATU engaging in and off when the tx delay is at zero. So I added some delay and seems ok . Yes I can remove the ATU from the circuit. At first I thought my rig was broken with all this relay switching. What are others using as far as delay settings ? Thanks
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Steve. 

By design the radio will not do QSK with ATU engaged for performance concerns. Flex did this intentionally to improve receive performance.  Use semi breakin when using the ATU.

I use about 300 ms delay with N1MM.  This will vary depending on what speed I am running which is typically between 26 - 30 WPM.  You want the delay long enough so the transmitter stays engaged during CW word spacing but not too long as to cut off the first character of a responding station. If you are running an older amplifier then it is especially important to keep the transmitter engaged during word spaces to avoid hot switching the T/R relay in your amp. 

You may want to experiment to find what is best for you. 

Joe
    N3HEE
  • Steve Killeen
    Steve Killeen Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thanks Joe :)  I'm not running an amplifier. I ajusted to 300ms anyways and works good this way.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2020
    Or, if you need to use the ATU when operating full break QSK, you can use a separate RX antenna, which will allow for full break QSK in excess of 30 WPM.
  • Steve Killeen
    Steve Killeen Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Will do :)
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I don't think anyone answered you regarding low cut and high cut. Those are for SSB and I think you are just asking about CW?

As far as receive EQ, try bumping up the EQ frequencies in the 250 and 500 range and decreasing the others and see how that works for you. I have been able to pull DX out by doing this that I could not otherwise. I have them at levels they are about distorting.

• Steve Killeen
    Steve Killeen Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thanks Rich
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I generally do not use the ATU in my 6600.  I use an SPE amp which even when not enabled has a built in ATU that is I think a little better than the one in the 6600.

Last night my cross town friend and I went full break-in at 35WPM without any issue. 

Since my radio and amp are in a shed, about 20 feet away it was like totally silent, nothing but high speed CW back and forth.

It was really cool.

It is the one reason I try to tell people not to go for the M model radios and do a 6600 plus a separate Maestro.

In my personal opinion this allows you to put the more noise 6600 a ways away and keep your operating area nice and quiet.

My full-break in friend uses an IC-7300 and I've been at his op position when he was full break in with another guy and the clicking, even in the 7300 is pretty insane.

• Robert-KP4Y
    Robert-KP4Y Member
    edited February 2020
    Yeah, the 6600 is a delight in CW under the conditions that you describe. However, I had a 7300 and the clicking in the 6600 with the ATU engaged is as bad or worse than the one in the 7300. Unacceptable for a radio that is three times more expensive! 73, Robert-KP4Y/W4

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.