Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

4K TCL TV as Monitor

13»

Comments

• Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Tim Ellman, 4:4:4 chroma display is NOT required for a TV to act asa PC, it just has a better rendering of fine text v.s. A tv that only supports 4:4:2. You should have a video that says it supports 4K video. I use the GeForce Nvidia 1050i, does a fantastic job for me.
  • Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited November 2018
    I see Best Buy has the TCL Model:49S405 on sell for $299 , the ad calls it 
    TCL - 49" Class - LED - 4 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR 
    I want to be sure I'm buying the correct TV with 4.4.4 Chroma ? What has me confused is this is the only ad I see that calls this TV the ( 4 Series ) 
    Can someone tell me if this is 4.4.4 Chroma please 

Thanks Ed N5DG
  • Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

If you went to the link I posted you can find it there but here is what it says (YES on the Chroma 4:4:4)

Supported Resolutions

What it is: Different resolutions supported by TV.
    When it matters: PC monitor usage.
    Score components:
    • 17% 1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4
    • 17% 1080p @ 120Hz
    • 17% 1440p @ 60Hz
    • 17% 4k @ 30Hz @ 4:4:4
    • 16% 4k @ 60Hz
    • 16% 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4

Score distribution:

1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4          
       ✕ What it is: Crisp text on 1080p @ 60 hz signal.
    When it matters: PC productivity and 60 fps gaming. 

: Yes       1080p @ 120Hz

✕ What it is: 120 fps 1080p signal supported.
    When it matters: PC gaming. 

: No       1440p @ 60Hz

✕ What it is: 60 fps 1440p signal supported.
    When it matters: PC productivity and gaming. 

: Yes      4k @ 30Hz @ 4:4:4

✕ What it is: Crisp text on 4k @ 30 hz signal.

: Yes       4k @ 60Hz

✕ What it is: 60 fps 4k signal supported.

: Yes       4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4

✕  What it is: Crisp text on 4k @ 60 hz signal.
    When it matters: Productivity and 60 fps gaming in 4k. 

: Yes       4k @ 120Hz

✕ What it is: 4k 120Hz signal supported
    When it matters: PC gaming 

: No
    Most resolutions are supported. 4k @ 60 Hz is only supported when the HDMI input used is set to HDMI 2.0 in the TV's settings. 4:4:4 color is displayed properly in all picture modes.

The TV's 4:2:0 color support is inconsistent. 4:2:0 isn't displayed properly from some sources, such as a PC (whites turn pink, scanlines), while our HDR Blu-ray player had no such issue. This inconsistency could be a problem for 4k @ 60 Hz sources that only support HDMI 1.4, as 4:2:0 is needed for these sources to remain within the bandwidth cap of HDMI 1.4.

Update 07/18/2017: The TV only shows 4:4:4 color properly when in 'PC mode'. Sharpness also has no effect in PC mode, even though the slider can still be changed. For most sources PC mode is activated by changing the input's icon to 'Computer'. For a PC, if the TV detects a PC as its source it forces PC mode, and this cannot be avoided except by intercepting the AVI infoframes sent from the PC. Changing the input's icon does not avoid this forced PC mode. This behavior was not known during initial testing, leading to the incorrect assumption that 4:4:4 color is displayed properly in all modes.

• Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited November 2018
    Rob, Thanks for ur post , Best Buy had the 49" (49s405) TLC on sell for $299.99 so I have a new 4K in the box waiting for my video card to be delivered from Newegg . I read ur review and one other on the   EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING card 
     https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487290
    The HDMI 2.0 cable is coming from Amazon , so by Tue or Wen I should be up and going ... Thids is going to be nice 
    Tnx Ed N5DG
  • Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    It’s going to put a smile on your face every Tim you boot it up!!! Keep me posted.
  • Mark - N4MKA
    Mark - N4MKA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I finally popped for a 43" 4K TV to use with my Flex. I have not compared it to many other displays and probably don't know what I am missing by picking up a cheapy Naxa NT-4302k 43" 4k Ultra HD Led TV, but WOW. It looks really good at 3840 x 2160 on my GeForce GTX 1050 TI video card. I got it for $160 on special at Frys Electronics.

• Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019

Mark, you made a good choice, I have the 49" TCL and the same video card in my Dell, the resolution on the very smallest of text is outstanding...  You'll enjoy it, probably wish you went bigger, unless your space restricted! 

Enjoy
    Rob - AK7RM
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    AND!!!!! If you want to show off that 4K screen resolution, you need one of these!!!!

https://www.geochron.com/4k/

• Mark - N4MKA
    Mark - N4MKA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks, very happy so far. I have (2) 27" monitors and the (1) 43" 4k display. I plan on using the 43" primarily for radio stuff. I won't say I never will want a larger one. Space is not a primary issue. I just hope I don't ever need a big magnifying glass to see it some day:)

• Mark - N4MKA
    Mark - N4MKA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I will have to add that to the list.
  • Muhammad Ashraf Alvi
    edited February 2020
    Sir how can I connect my Pentium 4 with tcl
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2020
    You will need a more up to date PC running a recent version of WIndows with a graphics card that will work with 4k monitors.
  • Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Alvi, make sure the video card says that it supports 4K video, it should have an HDMI port, which will connect to your 4K TV. TCL has one of the best resolutions for a PC monitor.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    For those who have been asking what 4:4:4 means.  Here's a short video that should help: https://youtu.be/7JYZDnenaGc

I've always had a problem finding this particular specification on TV's.  Thanks to those who posted a link. 

• Gary Zeune
    Gary Zeune Member
    edited June 2020
    I used 4x24" Dell FHD monitors. Why? Because I have spreadsheets with 500,000 rows and 50 columns that spanned 3 24" monitor. A pain to use. So I replaced three with the TCL 50 in series 4 because it had chroma subsampling 4:4:4. Now I can get all 50 columns on top half and 2 or 3 support documents on the bottom half.. Works great but the text was a little fuzzy so I turnef off HDR. Now the text is really sharp. Costco had 43" series 4 on sale for $230 and 50" for $250. So I bought two, one for each house. I tried these series 6 which was almost double the price and it certainly was better for video and movies but made no difference when used as a monitor. Big monitor substantially reduces the amount of time I have to spend on my big spreadsheets. Wish I'd gotten one years ago. DisplayFusion.....If you get a giant monitor spend $35 and get DisplayFusion. It will create custom virtual displays on your giant monitor. It's great when you're doing PowerPoint presentations to have both the PRESENTER view and SHOW on one monitor.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.