Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HELLO W5RRK

Options
2»

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    That is correct. All Flexes connect by way of lan cables. Between the radio and the computer running the digital software all that is needed is one lan cable to either the radio or through a network.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Sir, what the gang here is trying to tell you is that the 6400m is a self-contained radio, requiring power, antenna, and microphone or key for phone or CW. Digital modes of ANY kind REQUIRE an external computer running the appropriate application (WSJT, fldigi, etc.) to enjoy. There needs to be only one cable between the radio and computer - that’s a CAT cable supporting the Ethernet connection (the PC must have an Ethernet port; the radio already does). It’s quite simple, but does require basic networking and software skills, plus some time to read the manuals and set things up.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    As Tim said,,Answered
  • bobby
    bobby Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    So what difference does it make with a flex you use a ethernet cable and an external computer but guess what with the ftdx3000 or icom7300 you only use a usb cable dont need ethernet or internet So 1 cable is 1 cable whether is usb or ethernet its still 1 cable except those radios are much cheaper and boot up in 15 seconds instead of 1 and a half minutes.
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    GOT IT...!!! Was doing wishful thinking...!!!  thought I found a rig that had a built in computer to run
    external software!!! GUESS, I will keep my ICOM-7300 and FTDX3000 with the external computer..!!!
    NOW, let me order that ICOM7610, for my COMPUTER...!!!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    bobby, If we are hung up on cable counts, this is the advantage. In most Flex shacks there is a ways a computer nearby connected to the internet, many times that computer will be the computer running SSDR for Windows as well as all the 3rd party software we need, sometimes people run 3 or 4 software programs at once. Because the computer is already connected to the home network,  there is never any reason to ad another cable to run any 3rd party program. So no, we don't need any cables at all to use 3rd party software. Even with the 6400M connected to the network, no cables are needed.

In the case of the Icom, if the computer is already connected to the network you still must add a USB cable for the 3rd party software.
  • Val  DM1TX
    Val DM1TX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I had before my Flex the FTDX-3000. Great radio but I can only say I am happy I sold it.
    The receiving I have with Flex on same antenna is simply WOW! There is simply no way to compare them. I use to "help" the FTDX-3000 with a connected  Airspy HF+ SDR. Lots of cables and lots of tweaking to make everything play together. Now my life is easier and I have more actual radio time as before. I am connecting to my Flex from my Holiday hotel room or in my lunchbreak from work.
    I guess who loves a superhet will always believe it is just magic. Too bad they did not make those lamps radios anymore :-)
    And yeah, I have so many kinds of software connected in the same time with the Flex. An impossible task before. And...uuups no cables :-) 73 from Bavaria
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    OK ALL, JUST WONDERING AND THINKING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT EXIST. I HAVE READ THE WEBPAGE AND LOTS OF EHAM REVIEWS! THEY ALL SAY "NO PC" AND THAT MIGHT BE THE CASE, BUT NOT FOR THE DIGITAL MODES LIKE FT8...!!! I HAVE TROUBLE CONNECTING EXTERNAL COMPUTER WITH EXTERNAL SOFTWARE. AND, I AM NOT ALONE, SOMEBODY ELSE HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS ON EHAM FTDX3000 REVIEW. STILL WORKING ON THE 7300, BUT GETTING CLOSE!! thanks....
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    You have not looked hard enough.  There are two such SDR radios on the market that have a built in computer that can do as you wish.  Google is your friend. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    And if you need help with your setup, post on an Icom group. Not Flex.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Persevere, the IC7300 connects to a PC via one USB cable and works very well.
    I have used a fellow hams rig in the field. I have an IC9700 that is the same.
    Main trick is to load the Silabs USB driver from the Icom site BEFORE you connect the radio.
    Andrew VK5CV
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    THANKS N3HEE! ELECRAFT AND WHAT ELSE? THE PROPER TERM IS "EMBEDDED" COMPUTER.... THANKS AGAIN. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.