Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Settings for JS8Call

WK2Y
WK2Y Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in Third-Party Software
Anyone else running JS8Call?

I was wondering if someone could help me get my settings right for use with JS8Call(V2.1.1).   I am running a 6500 with SmartSDR 3.1.8 under Windows 10 Pro.

Slice B is set to DAX 2 and in the DAX control panel it shows it streaming. Everything works with HRD and JTDX but I use those through Slicemaster.

In JS8Call, under the radio tab,  I choose the Rig as FlexRadio 6xxx with the PTT Method of CAT, Mode of None, and Split Operation of None.

In JS8Call, under the audio tab, I have chosen as Input; DAX Audio RX 2(FlexRadio Systems DAX Audio) and Output as DAX Audio TX (FlexRadio System DAX TX).

In SmartSDR CAT (where I suspect my problem lies), slice B is associated with a CAT Port that is set as follows:  Port Protocol: CAT, Port Type: Serial, Serial Port: FlexVSP, Client Com: Com13, VFO Slice: B, Auto Switch TX Slice: Enabled, Split Mode: SO2R(normal).

Device manager shows FlexVSP port 13 working normally.

When I start JS8Call, it looks like it is receiving, but I get a Rig Control Error with the message, "Hamlib error: IO error while opening connection to rig.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Bob, WK2Y

Answers

• Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Bob,

Just checked and my:

JS8CALL radio settings same as yours
    SmartSDR CAT same setting as yours except I use slice A instead of B, COM 16 here-should be no issue
    DAX is working except I use DAX 1.

JS8CALL CAT Control Tab Network server localhost:60002; poll interval 1 sec; baud rate 19.2k; data bits default; handshake default;

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for the info.  I'll let you know how I make out in the next few days.
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    When I choose Flex-6xxx, I'm not really sure what to put in the Network server box.  In SmartSDR CAT, I have a TCP Port 5002 associated with a slice,. When I try to enter localhost:5002 or 192.168.7.241:5002 it doesn't like it.  It says you are supposed to leave it blank to allow JS8Call to find it but that doesn't work either.

I am able to get the program to work by choosing the rig Kenwood TS-2000 (I remembered this from years back.) and that gives me a serial connection on a  port at 4800, one and none.  None the less, I would really like to understand the network connection issue.

Thanks again.
    Bob
  • Michael Wheatley
    Michael Wheatley Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Setup JS8Call just like you setup WSJT-X:  Radio FlexRadio 6xxx, Network Server localhost:60002 (you must have a SmartSDR CAT port defined as TCP, 60002, VFO Slice B), Rig Options: PTT:CAT, Audio Input: DAX Audio RX2, Output: DAX Audio TX.

Michael -- KM6LHD
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Ah ha!  That worked.  Now I see.   It can't be just any old TCP port number.  It has to be 60002.  I'll bet that's in the manual.   :-O
    Thanks very much.
    Bob, WK2Y
  • Michael Wheatley
    Michael Wheatley Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Not exactly.  The port number must correspond to the TCP port number set up in SSDR CAT.

Michael -- KM6LHD
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I had been trying with 5002 and for some reason it didn't work so maybe that's not a valid port number?  Do port numbers have to be 5 digits perhaps?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.