Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Manual port mapping for SIM-enabled router

Gerry
Gerry Member ✭✭

Am a very excited new owner of a Flex 6400. My first experience with SDR was with the Icom 7300; it was my first radio purchase (am in the hobby just about 3 years). My current experience with the Flex is always compared with the 7300. The possibilities are incomparable. I felt greater growth possibilities with the Flex…

I have installed Smart SDR 3.1.8 with the accompanying CAT and DAX programs. I have installed SliceMaster and FRStack without problems. I have been using JTDX since I got it installed. In the 24 hours since I got hold of the Flex 6400, I have logged about 60 QSOs in the 15, 17, 20 and 40m bands. Am using a hand-me-down Cushcraft R7 vertical (the internal ATU of the Flex 6400 can tune every single band of the R7, while the internal ATU of the Icom 7300 can tune only the 10, 12 and 15m bands). But this is another story. I know I have to use a better antenna to do justice to the Flex…

My problem is with port mapping the router - I have a SIM-enabled router (IMEI 868842031305341). I can put the Flex (and its antennas) anywhere with wireless internet connectivity and logging-in remotely to the Flex has even (literally) wider possibilities!

Googling the IMEI of the wireless router does not give much information. The device does not seem to have UPnP. I have read the pertinent instructions in the Flex community –

Ria’s (N2RJ) post - https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/port-forwarding-service-name?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Breply_id%5D=18925130#reply_18925130

Tim’s (W4TME) post - https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/v2-0-port-forwarding?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Breply_id%5D=18874100#reply_18874100

But still I get a RED BUTTON on testing Smartlink.

My problem basically is, how do I tell the SIM-enabled router that Forward TCP Port 21000 (external) maps to 4994 (internal) and Forward UDP Port 22000 (external) maps to 4993 (internal)?

Below is a screenshot of the port mapping page of the router… Any help would be appreciated!

Destination IP is the LAN address of the Flex. I have made this IP address static.
Destination ports are (internal) 4994 and 4993.

Again, how does this router know that these ports map to (external) 21000 and 22000?

Thanks!
73s
Gerry
DU7EYG

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hello Jose and welcome to the Flex ,
    Not sure on that Router but poke around and see if you can find a firewall section or something like that, sometimes they hide the Port forwarding in there. 
    I really don't think Port triggering will do you much good but I could be wrong, If you find NO other way to do port forwarding then your only alternative I think would be to set up the DMZ to point to the FLEX Radio, This would open the flex up to the internet but if that's all you can do that is about all you can do besides maybe open the DMZ to another Router that you can forward ports on but then you would be double NAT'ed and that opens another can of worms. 
    Good luck and hope this helps 
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • Gerry
    Gerry Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks, Bret!

The port mapping page is accessible and I have added the ports to forward... DMZing the FLEX makes it very vulnerable. Double NATing is not a good idea, from what I have read. I am using a SIM-enabled router. Perhaps this is the problem...

A screenshot of traceroute is attached. A "Request timed out" entry appears each time. Perhaps this is the wireless connection of the SIM to the cellsite... and this is causing a fault? Using s SIM-enabled router is not a good idea?

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Looks like your already behind a 10.90 router and that may be what is blocking ports by your Provider
    Bret
  • Gerry
    Gerry Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I do not understand, Bret. What do you mean?
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Many SIM based providers do not allow you to open the ports on their system.  I have seen one provider whom will refer you to a third party that provides a VPN that will handle the open ports.

Check with the SIM internet service provider to see if they will open the ports or not.
  • Gerry
    Gerry Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    It looks like the ISP will not open the ports. Moreover there is the issue of static IP addresses. While I can do this at my LAN, this does not look like the case with the ISP and its networks. But I s there a problem with that? So looks like I will have to try the VPN solution. Will this actually work on the Flexradios? I will have to look/read more in the Community... Thanks, again! Gerry
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2020
    Your SIM router is using Enterprise NAT and this configuration is not compatible with SmartLink.

You may be able to use a bridged VPN for remote access.
  • Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    From someone who has been in your shoes......good luck.

Rick WR0H
  • Gerry
    Gerry Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hi, Tim! Thanks for getting back. Now how do I implement a bridged VPN? There are available commercial VPN service providers for a fee. Is it as simple as subscribing to one and using their service? 73s Gerry
  • Gerry
    Gerry Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thanks, Rick! How did you get around it? Gerry
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Here is what I use when that happens 
    Ria does a great job with the Raspberry Pi SoftEther Server and **** 

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/softether-vpn-install-script-for-raspberry-pi

hope this helps
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I didn't.  Ended up getting rid of the Maestro I bought with the radio to use remotely.  I don't know anything about raspberry pi, linux etc
  • Gerry
    Gerry Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks again, Bret. I read what I could understand from the link you posted on Ria's N2RJ solution.

But the discussions date back 3 years ago. And Ria herself says in her last post, "this was just a simple script I threw together because others were asking me to help them get theirs going. I've stopped maintaining it since we have Smartlink and v2.0..." And then Jon K1IMD said, "Thank you so much Ria... Some of us are still using PowerSDR on older Flex gear and this is just what the doctor ordered!"

This thread was two years ago. We now have SSDR 3.1.8 and a later version of Smartlink... and the Signature Series SDRs...

Any way this workaround is now implemented in the current versions of software? I seem to have the same problem users have years ago... Is there a more current and simpler solution?

Thanks, again!
    Gerry 
    DU7EYG

• Gerry
    Gerry Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    And I am thinking of getting a Maestro... I also know little about networking software solutions... Some have mentioned bridged VPN... I do not know anything about it. Let us see where this leads me.
  • Gerry
    Gerry Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thanks again, Tim. Bret WX7Y in a thread below points to a post of Ria (N2RJ) of a softether VPN solution. This is the bridged VPN that you mention? I know very little about network software stuff...

Also the discussions with Ria was two years ago. We now have SSDR 3.1.8 and a later version of Smartlink... and the Signature Series SDRs. Is there a more current and simpler solution?

Gerry
    DU7EYG
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2020
    Yes, it is the solution I mentioned.  Just use the updated SmartEther software when installing it.
  • Gerry
    Gerry Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    This will mean a lot of study for me; I just have a beginner’s understanding of Linux... That many others have tried this solution and that it works encourages me. Thanks, Tim! 73s Gerry DU7EYG
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The VPN solution is still viable and works.  Ria's script was only to make the setup and configuration of one particular VPN software easier for those that might wish to have a guiding hand setting up technology.  There are other VPN solutions but if your not up to the task of figuring out how to configure them for you operating enviroment then your better to stay away from them.

I personally think once setup the VPN solution was more reliable but of course it had downsides that in most cases did not matter for my operating style.  For instance until just the yesterday having spots showing on the panadapter of a remote SmartSDR session using Smartlink was limited to impossible.  However, with the VPN solution it was available and easy to setup using the same tools you used if operating locally.   So that was a major advantage.  A disadvantage is that you have to have a computer or raspberry pie running on the home network that is configured with the VPN server.

One other thing to research (and I do not have a specific name of website) is to find a provider whom offers a virtual VPN solution that integrates with your SIM providers system.  I know one person whom uses a SIM internet provider called NetBuddy and they piggy back on the AT&T system offering unlimited bandwidth anywhere that you can reach a AT&T wireless tower.  It was mostly designed for people that travel the country in RV's and have essentially a mobile LAN.  He does not have a RV but rather the only internet to his home was DSL that was terrible slow.  The normal high speed internet providers would not supply him with service because it would cost them too much to run the lines down to his house.  He got on the NetBuddy service and the speeds were great but the problem was he needed to have some ports open so he could operate his remote station (not Flex but another product) and the network provider would not allow the ports to be opened.  So Netbuddy referred him to a virtual VPN provider located in Canada that provided him with a static IP address and open ports for a fee of about $175 per year.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.