Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote and Local operation, logging?

Neal Pollack, N6YFM
Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in Third-Party Software
I have a Maestro for my Flex 6000 series radio, and so far only use it locally in the shack.
I am considering trying remote operation for the first time, from a different part of the house, using a different computer for DAX, digital mode software, and logging.

For people that use the maestro in two locations, with two different computers, what do you typically do to keep your logs in sync?   My main shack computer uses Ham Radio Deluxe logbook, but I am not married to that.    Do you guys manually merge the logs from the two different computers, or have some other kind of automated merging?

Thanks,

Answers

• Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The Maestro interfaces directly to the Flex.  No computer (except the one in the Maestro) or am I missing your point?
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I use cloud storage (iCloud, Dropbox, Microsoft, etc) and store the log file there. The I can use multiple devices if I want and they all open the same file from the cloud. 
    So if you wanted to use multiple computers at different locations that could work. 
    Good luck!

Justin
     KL2D 
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited February 2020
    If you operate a digital mode like RTTY or FT-8, you will also need a computer at your operating position with the RTTY or WSJT-X software, a logging program, and Flex DAX and CAT.
    So you end up with logs on two different computers.  So the question is about keeping those
    different logs in sync.

Thanks!
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Like Justin KL2D, I also use a 'central' logfile that is accessible to all my devices. I have DXLab configured on each device to open the same logfile. They all share and update the same logfile, DXL also saves a backup copy onto the current device, just in case.
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    i use the HRD automatic backup and sync directories
  • K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I also use HRD Logbook and as others have mentioned, I keep the Access database on iCloud so I can access my log from anywhere including remotely via the Internet.  Works great.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Cloud works well provided you use the same logger at each location.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I have Logger 32 at both locations.  I could merge the logs if I wished to, but generally keep things separate.  I am not that compulsive that I need to cloud things or keep one central log.  I use RemotePC for the computer control remotely.  That program has a function to easily transfer files, so keeping 2 copies of all the logs is easy.  That I do from time to time.
  • JohnK2CIB
    JohnK2CIB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I use DXLabs for logging and the master file is in Dropbox in the cloud.  Since each record is immediately written, I could probably have DXLabs open on two computers at once and not run into a problem, but I don't. I close DXLabs on one computer and open it on the other.  DXLabs is not easy to initially copy all the needed files from one computer to another though.  Other software may be easier.
    John, K2CIB
  • David Hickman
    David Hickman Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    For years I used HRD setup with MySQL as the back end. I then have HRD installed on all possible computer.

My more recent setup is to use QRZ as my authoritive log backend and configure whatever I am using to sync with it.  In a pinch I can enter the logs directly into QRZ.

I run a maestro and also remote into a peecee for digital modes into my 6300.

• Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    John K2CIB, your "close one instance of DXKeeper before opening your Dropbox log file from another instance" approach is required.

Step-by-step instructions for "copying" DXLab from one computer to another are available here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MovingBetweenPCs

• Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Remotely I use the Maestro most of the time but can also use an Ipad or Iphone and do logging on my PC.

I use AC log (N3FJP) software for logging remote or local. The AC logger database is kept in dropbox so no matter where it is accessed it's always updated. Using AC logger remote I use smart link Cat serial ports to connect to AC log I can use 2 slices and have to configure AC log in Multi radio mode to log the correct freq, band etc. I press Cntrl X and it will swap slices for the logger as this is not automatic unless I'm local then I use the AC log API.
  • JohnK2CIB
    JohnK2CIB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thank you, Dave.  I didn't say I couldn't copy the installation, just that it was difficult - it is.  Perhaps a task to be automated?
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    For most users, only 5 steps are required to setup DXLab on a new computer:
    1. install the DXLab Launcher on their new computer
    2. direct the Launcher to install the other DXLab applications
    3. copy their Workspace folder
    4. direct the Launcher to extract their application settings from that Workspace folder
    5. copy their log file
    The rest of the steps listed in the above-cited documentation are optional, required only if you make custom versions of band definition files, mode definition files, the DXCC database, etc.

Compared to other enhancement requests in the queue, further automating this infrequent task is relatively low priority.
  • N2WQ
    N2WQ Member
    edited March 2020
    N1MM has built-in sync function that works across all networked computers. It is seamless and bulletproof. It also works over the internet.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I export an ADIF file from N1MM+ after a contest. Then open DXLab and import the file to DXKeeper. I use the Maestro remote. I control the rest of my station including N1MM+ with a laptop.
  • Jeff Schwartz
    Jeff Schwartz Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    DX Labs rocks! It interfaces with my Flex from across the room or across the country. I have it on three computers which includes my laptop for remote activity. I have done CW, RTTY, FT8 and SSB remotely with Flex and DX Labs at the helm. It’s a simple process to filter and transfer any remote activity to the base station log with a thumb drive which is how I handle it when I get home. I also backup each hamming session to a couple thumb drives while away. At home I have four on-site off the main PC drive log backups. After a computer hard drive failure in the past I learned my lesson the hard way.... never again I say.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited March 2020
    Paul:   So, if I understand correctly, you use network attached storage path or cloud location for the path setting of the log file inside DXkeeper configuration?

Neal
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited March 2020
    Ken:    if you already have a local HRD logbook database, is it possible to move it
    to dropbox or iCloud or something, and then modify setting for the PATH inside HRD logbook app?    Any tips or pointers on how to move/modify the settings?

Cheers,

Neal

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.