Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Yaesu is it possible to run flex radio on a indoor whip arial

Anthony Woodsford
edited May 2020 in DAX

Answers

• JohnK2CIB
    JohnK2CIB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes, but indoor antennas do not perform nearly as well as outdoor ones.  Also, if you are transmitting, the RF could be hazardous to you, your family and anyone else close to the antenna.  For high frequency (3 to 30 MHz) vertical 1/4 wave antennas to be successful, they need to have a good grounding system that you can't provide indoors.  A whip on an automobile uses the body of the car for that.   A horizontal loop around the ceiling periphery of a large room might work better without requiring a grounding system and might be less noisy.  There are many, many designs for indoor antennas that you can research on YouTube and with books on antennas.
  • Anthony Woodsford
    edited February 2020
    thanks john for your answer I nave the whip ax1 which is set up for 20 meters 15 and ten hoping that it will run indoors to a flex 3000 thanks    tony m3lhx.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    If you can put it in an attic space to get it further from you and others it will work better and be safer, as opposed to having it near you.  Don't forget radials under it if it requires them (most verticals do.)
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    What you should consider .  A Flex3000 needs a pc/Laptop to operate. This will create interference nearby. So, as Duana proposes : Put the antenna as far apart from the PC as possible and shiel/hf-block as good as you can. 
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Remember that antenna is only rated for 30 watts.
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    A dipole made for a couple of bucks will work much better. 
  • Anthony Woodsford
    edited February 2020
    thanks brian I am a qrp operating at 5 to 10 watts     tony m3lhx
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hi Anthony - I have to agree with Neil that you'd be better off with a dipole if you can find the space for one.  I did that once, putting up a 20m dipole (folded into a "U" shape) and then using an MFJ manual tuner to find matches for 20m, 15m, and 10m.  I worked DXCC on it, however it was a very active sunspot time.  The other option for limited space is a hi-Q transmitting loop.  While they are finicky to tune for resonance (and you have to retune when you change frequency more than 10 KHz or so) they both hear and radiate pretty well.  At least that was my experience.  They require you have the in a space that is not too close to other metallic objects, but my attic worked.  Either of those options will outperform a whip antenna, done properly. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.