Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Possible RF problem in Shack

2»

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Great thing about glass is, it does not allow lightning to follow it!
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Exactly, and fiber is not nearly as expensive as was stated.
    My situation is not RF on the feeding coaxials but rather close internet modem with 900mhz yagi a few feet from the transmit antennas.
    Grounding the PC was also helpful but at the end of the day fiber works greater than you might think.

An aside I no longer worry about a lightning pulse taking out my network along with my Flex.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    You might ask why the modem on the tower.
    I need the height to hit the access point until time civilized cable comes to my area.
  • BL7IB
    BL7IB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I add an abandon old router, using its LAN side with DHCP off as a switch, between my radio cabinet and the main router.

• BL7IB
    BL7IB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Congrad for DXing in area without civilized cable.  Quiet station assured.
  • PhilipG
    PhilipG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Thanks all for your replies. They sent me to the books, the web, and the bank.

Here's what I did.
    I made sure that all equipment was bonded and the bond was grounded (could not ground the computer, a mac mini. I had no screws or protrusions, so I left it alone). I have a copper pipe running behind the boxes and ran braid from the tube to the boxes. The tube is connected by braid to outside ground.
    I purchased snap on ferrites in various sizes and went to town with them on coax and internet cables, 
    I purchased a pair of copper/fiber converters (GTECK on Amazon for 40/each) and fiber cable and ran fiber from my router directly to the flex.
    I am also in the process of dressing the rabbit's nest of usb, power, ethernet, control cables behind the boxes.
    So far, I am no longer seeing the lock up pattern from RF as  before. I may have solved this one. Thanks all for your help.

Phil, K3UT

(The fiber was primarily for ESD protection; I live in an area of lightning strikes, power outages  on the GA coast)

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Phil what are the part numbers of the fiber items...?  Would like to see what they are.  THX  Erika DD
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Excellent Phil, Happy you got some resolve. Enjoy. Erica premade LC works well. It's two fibers.
  • PhilipG
    PhilipG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020

These are the converters I used.  One is on top of the Flex connected with a .5m ethernet cable and the other is next to the router with a .5meter ethernet cable

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XBSZJL3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the optic cable I got.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079J6FDBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sets up in a few minutes, no programming. I now have the peace of mind that surges through the internet cable are a thing of the past.

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    We have Buried Power and Cable here, but it wasn't always that way.  Here's the house's original power service panel from 1896 (120v DC one circuit fused Plus and Minus side) that was still feeding 1/2 of the house on AC when we got here Sept '16image...  Just **** in larger fuses was SOP..
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Very cool.
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Erika - Where is your home?

I spent part of my electric utility career in New York City, Consolidated Edison.  At the time, ConEd was supporting portions of the old Thomas Edison DC distribution system.  Some of the older NYC buildings continued to use DC for their elevators.

Later on, ConEd was paying for the old buildings to use MG sets (Rotary AC to DC converters) to replace the need for DC distribution.

Alan
    WA9WUD
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Rock Rapids, IA.  The far NW Corner of Iowa 6 miles south of Minnesota and 20 miles east of South Dakota.  The utility switched over to AC in 1921 or 22...  I have the book here...  Everything WAS heated via coal around here back then.  A deposit was found in the eastern part of the county way back when. They didn't get Natural gas here until 1955.  Erika DD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.