Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Proper generic interfacing of FlexLib by logging program

Andy - KU7T
Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR API
I am prototyping an integration of the FlexLib to a logging program. I can connect to the radio and slices fine, but have a generic design question. 

I dislike coupling. So, I created a new Classlibrary called "FlexConnector" which will do all the interfacing to the multiple FlexLib libraries. The reason why I try to not reference the FlexLib from the main application is that it will pollute the code and logic. Assume that Flex is not the only radio type, so many other radios need to be interfaced.

Now, many data from FlexLib properties need to be read by the main program. For example, what frequency a slice is on. I see multiple options:

1. Add references to the FlexLib and WFPUIFramework to the Main application. Then the FlexConnector dll can pass around the Slice object, and read and set anything by directly accessign the FlexLib properties. 

2. Have FlexConnector DLL expose a bridge object for the Slice, so the FlexLib and WPF libs are not needed to be known by the main application. In this case many properties and functions have to be adapted. 

3. Same as 2, but instead of creating an object, use a Dictionary. The dictionary is owned by the FlexConnector but exposed for reading to the main applicaiton. Main application needs to know the formatting of the keys (coupling). Also, only strings or simple types can be put in the dictionary values, or the FlexLib will have to referenced as well. 

4. ?

In general, I estimate that about 20% of all properties will be needed by the main logger. 
I favor a solution where the FlexConnector class library can be shared with other programs, so a loosely coupled solution would be desirable. 

How have others solved the problem?  Any suggestions are welcome.

Andy
KU7T

Answers

• Jim Shaffer
    Jim Shaffer Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I have a client that supports a Flex radio, but also supports a few other rigs.  What I did was to create a super class I call AllRadios.  AllRadios exposes common values supported by the rigs, such as the current frequency and mode.  Each radio then inherrits this class.
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Yes, I think this sounds like the right approach. That keeps it generic for the logging program. The fact that a lot of code has to be written to set and get the properties is necessary. 

I am sure I will have more questions when I get deeper into it. Currently I can read frequency and set the mode :-)

Andy
    KU7T

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.