Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Lag in Mouse Response - Looking for ideas how to resolve?

Andy Vavra
Andy Vavra Member
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
This may have been asked in the past, but I couldn't find any references to this particular challenge so pls forgive me if I'm being redundant.

This is also more likely a Win 10 / computer hardware question than it is a SmartSDR question,

Like many users I am running multiple monitors with #1 dedicated to SmartSDR and #2 to be used for logging, web searches, etc.  Often times the mouse movement will "stutter" as it moves across the Smart SDR screens making it hard to precisely hit the "target area" I want to control.

Question:  Is there a way to force focus to the active screen, by giving it higher priority than the other apps running.  

I have been watching Task Manager as the problem occurs, and the "stutter" is closely associated with processor utilization.  As utilization approaches 90% the mouse movement becomes more and more erratic, and my thinking is that I may be asking too much of my computer and it's graphic processor which from my view seems more very likely.

Here's my setup:
  • Flex 6500 running ver 3.1.8
  • HP 2560 Elite Book - I7 processor, dual core @ 2.7 gHz - 8 gig RAM - Win 10 Pro, 64 bit, latest build
  • Internal graphics adapter - Intel HD Graphics 3000 @ 1920 X 1200 @ 60 Hz refresh
  • Tested with Chrome & Firefox 
Has anyone had this happen and how were you able to resolve it,   

Or is it better solved by moving to a quad core machine with more powerful graphics card which I would like to avoid if possible.

Answers

• James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Andy, seems a high CPU usage. Do you have many other apps open?
    Next, is the mouse connected to a USB hub or right to your computer? That can be an issue.
    My computer is NOT a hot rod, to be sure and my wireless mouse is connected to a 2 channel KVM switch but suffers no problems. The KVM is plugged into the computer. Other USB peripherals are connected to a powered hub. I do not have many other apps running. Usually just Logger 32 and CAT, sometimes DAX.      Best 73, Jim      KD1I
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Look at process utilization with task manager. I have often noticed that browsers can take up an inordinate amount of CPU :-( Remove any browser windows / tabs that you do not need, and avoid those sites / pages that run a bunch of activity in the background - varies from site to site.
  • Mike Krzystyniak
    Mike Krzystyniak Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    In addition to the sage advise above....,
    Have you tried turning Intel Power Stepping to OFF?  
    Unless you are batteries, it is probably a good thing to keep off.
    All my windows run several X faster when IPS=OFF versus ON.

73  Mike K9MK

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Yes I have seen exactly the same thing on a laptop...  That was running ONLY SSDR v3 and nothing else on one monitor.

First defrag your hard drive.  Then get into "system environment variables" and make sure to turn visual Effects to Adjust for best performance...   Under Advanced set it for Best performance of programs.  THEN you might desire to manually SET a custom paging file size.... and pray.

Erika DD
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    You might along with power stepping, Temporarily turn off any Virus protection. 
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    3 monitors is a lot of video to push with the intel integrated video card. Consider springing for an Nvidia or AMD card with some horsepower
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Andy;
    If anything your system is more than mine, I5, 4gb. My cpu utilization is generally lower than yours, but I use win7 and Resource Monitor to evaluate. Out of curiosity, how is your network configured?
  • Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin
    edited April 2020
    Chris is right. The Intel HD Graphics 3000 is directly integrated into the processor core of your Sandy Bridge i7.  Like many laptop chipsets of that genre, it does not have dedicated GPU memories.  It shares the L3  cache (LLC) with the CPU (and RAM when required). 

Dan

• Val  DM1TX
    Val DM1TX Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hi Andy,
    I run on an very modest and 7 years old i5 Quad with 16GB memory also on 3 monitors but with a PCi graphic card. A very cheap one with 1GB VRAM.
    I too have noted studder when Chrome browser has multiple processes running in the background.
    It is possible that one of your apps is also responsible. Figure out from your memory /CPU usage which one is. SSDR is preatty optimized. My reccomendation is nevertheless to go with a Quad machine when you want to run multiple things and SSDR.
    MXMAS
    Val
    DM1TX
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Yes and no Val, theres ways the panadaptor and waterfall seriously CAN **** up massive graphics power as I've previously stated. I'm pretty particular about how pretty the graphics look. I have a dual processor 512 GB graphics 4 display port card. And let's say I wouldn't want to load up that one processor with more high quality drawing. His issue IS the video on his i7 processor. Just can't do that and expect performance. Merry Christmas all! Erika DD
  • Val  DM1TX
    Val DM1TX Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Your are perfectly right Erika. Forgot to mention that I am running a standard Dell Optiplex workstation. I am using the laptop just to run Smartlink on my holiday. Whishing you and your loved ones a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year. 73 DM1TX Val

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.