Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro Main knob falls off?

Alan C
Alan C Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
New Maestro B. Main tuning knob just falls off (when Maestro is face down).

I don't see anything obvious that holds it in. Also, looks like some sort of balance washers taped to the inside.

Comments

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    It almost looks like those washers were meant as part of the hardware to fasten the knob on.

I don't own a Maestro but those washers seem out of place.
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Well, I took off the rubber surround and found a set ****. Problem solved. Looks like Flex forgot to tighten it...
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The Washer is a counter balance don’t remove this if you don’t want the knob to not stay put If you gently lift the Rubber off the outside of the knob there is a set **** might even be 2 set screws, Use a flat plastic tool or guitar pick so you don’t scratch Hope this helps Bret
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Looks like something a R&D Tech would do during Alpha testing. Do they send you Maestro users a **** of spare tape?
  • Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin
    edited April 2020
    The "washer" is actually a flanged nut counter-weight added 180 degrees opposite of the finger dimple in the face of the knob to balance the rotation.  Without it, there could be a slight rotation of knob after it was released, causing a small but unwanted frequency change of the A slice.

We apologize for the untightened set ****!    

Dan
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Held on by a piece of tape?
  • W9WLX_Chuck
    W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    For those of us that received some of the initial Maestros, unbalanced movement was an early issue.  Flex sent out modification kits consisting of a flange nut, adhesive, and an allen wrench at no charge.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019

I wonder if they now have the knobs machined correctly for proper balance instead of using a washer and tape.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Simple field mod. The original document lives at https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360000672103/Maestro_VFO-A_Balancing_Mod_Installation_Guide.pdf Since many of us have taped balancing weights on our cars, which we “spin” at highway speeds for millions of revolutions We should be suspect of an adhesive based solution. Simple solution to a simple problem. Often the inherent internal friction of an encoder mask minor imbalances caused by machining the finger dimple. The encoder FRS used didn’t have enough of that internal binding. 73 Steve K9ZW Blog: http://k9zw.wordpress.com
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I've seen the tape method on lots of different items. I suspect the tape and weight will last longer then the useful life of a Maestro. No worries about it here.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.