Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

connection using only cell phone data

Howard AE3T
Howard AE3T Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for iOS
Can you access a Flex using an Iphone with only cell data connection and no WiFi. When I start smart sdr for IOS I can only see my Flex 6400 Smart Link and not the actual 6400. I would like to be able to control my 6400 when I do not have WiFi coverage, and only have cell phone data.

I assume that I can use the cell phone as a hotspot to allow my Ipad to connect via the hotspot WiFi connection to access the 6400 on smart sdr for IOS.

Answers

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    YES! The iPhone Hot Spot will work with SSDR and your computer,,, but you will be using a LOT of data, so depending on your Plan, be alert.. I recently upgraded from 1 Gig to 4 Gig due to my iPhone hot spot and Verizon data usage..
  • JohnSweeney
    JohnSweeney Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Yes, you can access your Flex using cell phone data - I do it all the time.   Since your data connection goes through your cell provider and not your home network, you will only see the Smartlink option.  But no problem - Smartlink works great.   yes you can use the hotspot feature in your cell phone to allow your iPad to access your radio.  I have made many QSO's that way.
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You need some sort of VPN that gets your iphone into your LAN t home. But, i dono what sense hat make on an ipad. I use smartlink on my windows laptop and see no difference other than a few addons that do not yet work.with smartlink

And Robert is right, SSDR will **** a lot , smartlink at least allows low bndwitdh connect , which does the job fine too
  • Howard AE3T
    Howard AE3T Member
    edited November 2019
    I can not connect to the 6400 that I see as a smart link radio on the cellphone. How can I do that?
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Your iPhone is the Hot Spot when it is turned on! Your Computer when searching for a WiFi network will see a network call iPhone, you you need to connect to that and it will ask you for the password you set up under WiFi settings in the phone. Did that help?? Here is a Video,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I8PlqRjX-c

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    i run iosssdr on both my ipad and iphone connected to my 6600m.
    i have used this combo in various modes..

1. iphone only, doing pedestrian mobil while out walking my dog (smartlink connection)

2. ipad only, while sitting out on back deck while having a cool afternoon drink or two ( local wifi connection)

3, iphone acting as hotspot for ipad, waiting in the car while the wife is doing a 'quick' stop and shop ... (smartlink connection)

4. ipad only, while sitting in the shack listening to ssb on the 6600m while working some FT8 with the ipad  local wifi connection doing multi-flex ops)

yep...lots operating choices with flex and even more so with multi-flex and whether local or smartlink or both...

Paul K3SF

• Howard AE3T
    Howard AE3T Member
    edited November 2019
    Robert,

The above works fine, but I only see a smart link flex 6400 and not my actual radio that I can connect to. What do I have to do to be able to see my remote 6400 and then connect to it.
  • Howard AE3T
    Howard AE3T Member
    edited November 2019
    Paul,
    This is what I want to do. No problem running my Ipad or Iphone on WiFi and connecting to my flex. When I don't have WiFi and using cell only, I can not see my flex 6400 but only what is called  smart link flex 6400 that can not be connected to. I would like to speak with you and find out if my smart link that has been working great for the past year may not be set up correctly.

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    per your original question

"When I start smart sdr for IOS I can only see my Flex 6400 Smart Link and not the actual 6400."

when you see 'smartlink 6400' you are using the data path of your iphone cell provider
    or
    operating over a local wifi (aka Starbuck coffe shop)
    and
    are operating it in a remote mode

when you see '6400...' you are operating over you local in-house wifi...
    this indicates that both the iphone and the flex 6400 are on the same network....

Pail K3SF

• Howard AE3T
    Howard AE3T Member
    edited March 2020
    Paul,

OK I understand that, but why cant I connect to the smart link flex 6400? Nothing happens when I select that.

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    based on that
    i think the following has happened
    that the smartlink server at Flex is down...

this smartlink server is needed to complete the connection.
    and
    there is no way to know if the server is down or not

Paul K3SF
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If your radio is a 6400 and NOT a 6400M  long in using the SmartSDR on your computer then under settings click on the Radio chooser and this will take you to the  smartlink setup then log it out then re-log it in to smartLink and go through the steps to MAKE SURE your IP address is what you have the ports set too in the Routers firewall, there will be 1 UDP and 1 TCP port to forward to the radio. 
    The radio's IP may have changed and the router is forwarding the ports to the wrong internal IP address.
    As far as not seeing the radio in side your network you need to be able to tie your IPAD /IPHONE into your Internet in your home's LAN some how, If your not using a WiFi router then it's not going to matter if you turn on your IPHONE's Hot spot because all that is going to do is use your Iphone's data plan anyway and probably be less efficient then Smart Link would in the first place because the 6400 Radio doesn't have WiFi built in if I remember right.

re-logging into SmartLink is covered in the manual pretty well and may fix your issues if when you log back into Smartlink you get the Green light in the SmartLink app in SmartSDR if you don't get a green light then work on your port forwarding following the instructions that the SmartLink connect in SmartSDR is telling you.
    Next best thing is buy a good router with WiFi if I under stood your original message that you don't have   WiFi and then your IPhone / IPad will connect to that WiFi on your LAN and work as I think you asking about. 
    The lower priced ASUS router are GREAT and easy to use and setup.
    Just my opinion 
    Bret

• Nick RN3KK
    Nick RN3KK Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    My iPhone 6s disconnect after 10second if use 3g or 4g. But iPad via WiFi perfect work.
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Working fine for me with AT&T.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.