Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-X 2.1.2 new release

John - AI4FR
John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
New General Availability Release of WSJT-X Announced

11/25/2019

The WSJT Development Group has announced the release of WSJT-X version 2.1.1. This is the free software suite that includes the FT4 and FT8 protocols. “WSJT-X 2.1.1 is a bug-fix release that addresses regressions in version 2.1.0,” the announcement said. “The new version executes properly on Macintosh machines running macOS 10.15 (Catalina).”

The Release Notes detail program changes made since WSJT-X 2.1.0. The WSJT-X 2.1 User Guide has also been updated. Upgrading from earlier versions of WSJT-X should be seamless, with no need to uninstall previous versions or move any files. Links to installation packages for Windows, Linux, and Macintosh are available.

Comments

• Robert Guertin
    edited November 2019
    The NEW revision is 2.1.2
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Since when is WSJT from Flexradio ??  This is a FlexRadio related Forum...not a Forum for whatsoever Software that runs with any Radio.  Not to mention that such is abusing a perfect Radio like a Flex. 

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited November 2019
    A lot of Flex users also use WSJT-X.

I appreciate John and Bob posting about the new release.

Dave wo2x
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Flex Radios are ALL SOFTWARE? Broadcast stations today are ALL SOFTWARE and you need to be a top IT Engineer to even work in that business anymore.

I use many software programs with my radio and so do most of the active hams here. Thank you for the thread JOHN.  I saw the email, and have WSJT-X v2.1.2 installed and chugging along just fine for an hour or so.

I for one have never owned a perfect radio and probably never will.  However, I have crossed swords with 100's of RADIO BRAND club members who since writing the check for an expensive radio, then swallow the Company BLUE PILL and think they belong to some exclusive elitist club.

I have very high hopes for the flex signature series and anything that follows (INCLUDING software releases) will be a fantastic radio, the future, and the way to go.

We are here as a group to share our experiences with our radios and use them to the maximum of their capability.  When something isn't right be of help to those in need and when it's beyond those that should know, inform the Higher Power ^ there's an issue. THIS manufacturer is right here on this forum and is willing to LISTEN. 

Anybody have a link to the multi-thread beta of DDUtil v 4.02?  I'd like to be running it right now.  I have 4.01.09 running fab.  Just need a PGXL to plug in..  :-)

Have a great day all,  Erika DD

• Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    And exactly how is WSJT "abusing" a Flex??
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    What is a Flex ?  A High end SDR Radio with a lot´s of features to enhance listening in boith SSB and CW , to find signals all over the bands.. To join your favourite net from everywhere on earth .  WSJT needs a simple QRP Radio with Audio in/out and PTT. Nothing more.  WSJT modes where made for weak signal work , moonbounce, meteorscatter and multihop ES ( FT8 ) on 6m and not to empty the CW and SSB Portions of HF. Thus all the effort the engineers have put into a Flex Signature Radio are not even touched by WSJT. 
    This is what i mean as abusing a "perfect radio" with  JT65 and FT8 

• John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Ha Gei have we ever worked? What is your call sign?

"and not to empty the CW and SSB Portions of HF" ahh the truth is starting to appear...

"Thus all the effort the engineers have put into a Flex Signature Radio are not even touched by WSJT. " Surely you are kidding here.

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    My Callsign is DL9NDW, licensed since 1975 . You can find me on 75 around the DX Window when Europe is open. You may also find me in a bunch of contests in both SSB and CW . And if you can work with  single Yagi Station also on 144 moonbounce. 

i am not kidding,tell me WHAT is specific to a FLEX transceiver regarding WSJT modes ?

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
         Hmm... I think Flex gave us CAT and DAX to be able to use such
    programs produced by exceptionally knowledgeable fellow amateurs.
    Ned,  K1NJ
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Nope..   this is a feature most modern radios have, even my little 590 has a built in soundcard and CAT PTT . I use wsjt with a probably 20 Year old FT 847 for moonbounce and there it ́s a simple cable. CAT was there since the late 80 ́s , even my 940 i used to have had that.  This nothing the makes a Flex unique for WSJT. Maybe just a little easier if you work over smartlink. If you want to work a small dx signal between two adjacent big sigs...there it is where the flex begins to shine...
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited November 2019
    Can most modern radios monitor WSJT-X on 8 bands simultaneously and when a new country pops up you click the proper slice, work them and log them?

The Flex with DAX gives a much cleaner TX signal on WSJT-X without risk of harmonics.

Sorry, but I prefer to run WSJT-X with my 6700 vs some inferior radio from Japan.

Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited November 2019
    Oh and add the support for WSJT-X to SmartSDR for IOS. Work FT-8 wherever you have an Internet connection, WiFi, cellular, etc. try that with a TS-940.

Dave wo2x
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    What Ned said is pretty dang specific.

Stop changing your story Ha. You stated that 100% of "the effort the engineers have put into a Flex Signature Radio are not even touched by WSJT." Ned just gave you two of the efforts by the designers. Now you want specifics. Stop moving the goal posts. If you hate WSJT modes then fine. Some of us do not.

For more,
    Software defined Radio operating a software defined mode.

SSDR created by Flex includes DIGU and DIGL "specifically" for operating WSJT modes along with other digital modes.

8 bands of FT8 at the same time.

The list is extensive.

These are what the designers of Flex included. So your statement about "all the effort the engineers have put into a Flex Signature Radio are not even touched by WSJT. " is purely FALSE!!!

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Well, from the 8 slice standpoint you are right, I can´t argue about the cleaner TX signal, i just never had any issue with such on any of my radios. I use my slices to , , for instance, listen to more than one signals in SSB or to monitor 40 while working on 80 . You can also use 8 slices to give a bunch of antenna limited hams a chance to work DX too. So..i still see not reall uniqueness.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    One thing that is really mentioned is that FlexRadio’s are entirely in the digital Domaine. This means that they tend a copy digital signals 3 to 6 dB better than’s radios using analog interfaces. I see this all the time with BX. stations will give me receive reports 6dB Worse than I copy them.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Since I am Flexer with a 6700, I too welcome a notice of this or any software update. Saves me from having to frequent one less website looking for updates of all the various software I use.
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thanks for the info.  Installed it on my 6400M smooth as could be. 
  • N6PAT Pat
    N6PAT Pat Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    WSJT-X is probably used by the majority of Flex owners so posting new releases in this forum seems appropriate.

I plan on upgrading to the new release when I get my 6700 back from it's current visit to FRS for repairs.
  • Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    WSJT is not "abusing" a Flex any more than driving to the grocery store is "abusing" a Porsche Turbo S, a world-class performer that also happens to be considered by many as the world's finest grocery getter.
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    There's nothing really special about WSJT-X, but its the best software of its kind. 

The deal is there's computers in the shack and they're running everything! SKYNET is alive and well...  So we need fancy new, updated software on more powerful and capable hardware with zillions of  IO PORTS for whatever is computerized, monitored, and needs controlling.

As of APRIL 2019  FT8 was a new mode for me.  That was about it for a challenge. We'll see how I feel when we have larger antennas finally up at this location... Right now I CAN get on the radio, and I'm enjoying my FLEX. The challenge is  making all the software play nicely together and not melt anything vital.    

It's doubtful we'll ever have the sort of towers and antennas we've had over the decades.  Though I'm enjoying my retirement and awaiting the next release of just about ANYTHING.  "INPUT !!  NEED MORE INPUT", HAHAHA...

Erika DD

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Erika, you watch a lot of movies.....  wsjt-x is a well designed and implemented program, as I discovered this week when upgrading to Windows 10.  But my short explanation is that as Win 7 is at end of life, and support is going away. As described by Flex, it was time to upgrade.  What I have gleaned is that Win 10 (alias, Skynet) is a pig on processing.  As I analyzed this situation, due to running out of processing power.  I looked at the processes running and here is my take.  One of the best apps running is wsjt-x, requiring on average on my i5 4 core, 6 to 10 percent.  SmartSDR requires 25 to 30 percent on average. Several very minor programs were eating up 25+ percent.  When all added together, I was at 95 to 100 of available processing power.  So in order to keep operating I had to eliminate use of the little piggies and go minimal until my new computer arrives. Win 7 never ran out of processing power, with all the same programs and more.  Cause and effect of making changes these days, resulting in spending more money, something that I hate to do.  Please no more input.....
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes I know what you mean Pat.  After spending forever plus a day in the IT business as these windows systems were developed, I've watched Microsoft make the O/S do more stuff around the house except my dishes, dust and vacuum. Seems It has always been my job to wash Windows.

There is a few tricks in the O/S that you can turn off as far as background applications.  I hope you realize the first is Cortana and 2nd is EDGE... Both have one hand in your pocket... You should see what those apps do when you're not watching them!  Like where did all these GOOGA BYTES of Internet useage come from or more importantly where did that information GO....

I had been on Firefox the last several years (Chrome before that but it was also getting active behind my back.) but google is playing dirty pool circa 2019 and they're sabotaging FireFox browsers looking at their web content..  So I finally went back to CHROME the two have more than crossed user bases...  Firefox is dying and Nobody can stop it at this point...

Yes I have watched a LOT OF MOVIES...  and I like to toss in movie quotes every so often. Its how I keep myself entertained.  While dealing with corporate software that is not working 100% in MY BEHALF.  The company should make its money from sales, not information mining.  Mining is not ethical...  Try digging a big hole in your own backyard and see how long you can keep doing that before something springs a leak...

The thing I really noticed is SSDR really "works" my video processor.  My next investment will be a 4 port card with a billion cuda cores and the whole enchilada dipped in a Cryogenic bath...  There are a LOT of variables as to how our FLEX software is run.  and it effects GPU utilization which effects how jerky your system looks.

Have a great evening Pat.  Erika DD
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hi Erika,  I was never involved with systems administration.  That would have drove me bonkers!  I stayed in a world between hardware and software.  Which basically meant that I was a builder, anything from computers and RF devices, and that kept me happy in my working days.  
    Ok on shutting down those items, I have not so far, because I am within days of getting my over the top new PC...  My current PC is a NUC I5 4 core, that I built up myself. No real challenge, but I at least got what I wanted and it has served me well for last 5 years.  So the new one I decided to have a custom builder do it.  What I am getting is a mid size PC with expansion capability, with an i9 9900 8 core 16 thread processor, 32g ram ant 1 TB of m.2 SSD.  The processor is liquid cooled.  Has a nice GPU card so will have plenty of power for monitors.  I ordered a PCIe card for extra USB support as well as SPDIF I/o card and a 2. Port USB 2.0 io for the keyboard and mouse.  And I still have one more slot available to use.  Had to raid the piggy bank on this one, but I am hopping that I will get 5 plus years out of it.  
    As for Windows, I feel that the core of the operating system has seen it’s day and all the paving over and obsolescence that they do to make us buy ever newer and faster hw will not make Windows better.  

Thanks for the nice long note....

regards,

Pat

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Very cool, yes I bet you had to write the check on that unit. Very fun. I hope it runs beautifully for you and you enjoy it for years. Erika DD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.