Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6600 transverter 0dB - 10bB control

Greg SP7QJF
Greg SP7QJF Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Which transerters for bandwidth above 144MHz accept control at + 10dB ?
I can not find it.
Please help

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited November 2019
    Search for Q5 Signals. They work just fine.

This should help . http://www.q5signal.com/

If you order a common IF with 0-20dbm drive you'll be fine.  The XVTR port puts out up to 10dbm.  

These are a very quality product.

Mike
  • Greg SP7QJF
    Greg SP7QJF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, in Europe no one manufactures transveters with an input power of + 10bB
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited May 2019
    Hi Greg

Sorry.  I didn't know you where in the EU.  It was hard to tell from your post.

Mike

• Paul Bradbeer
    Paul Bradbeer Member
    edited May 2019
    Hi Greg. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion: from personal experience both the DB6NT and HA1YA transverter can operate with a Flex 6000 at +10dBm. In fact, my HA1YA transverter (MET2 Pro) can be configured for up to +37dBm !
    Check out the HA1YA website.
    73 Paul M0CVX
  • Greg SP7QJF
    Greg SP7QJF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Most DB6NT transverters are 144 MHZ and Flex 6600 does not have this bandwidth. At 28MHz there is a keel, but the control power is at least 0.5W !!!.  In addition, there are no transverters available for its construction. 
    HA1YA has no transverter above 144 MHz
  • Greg SP7QJF
    Greg SP7QJF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I like the Q5 signal products very much. I will not have problems with the order. Thank you for showing me that something like that exists.
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited May 2019
    The only problem is it only advertises 75w out put which means it really only puts out 50 or 60.  I want at least 1k.

roger
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited May 2019
    Roger, are you guessing or have you tried one?

I use them and they deliver what they advertise.  

If you find a 1KW transverter, I think many would like to see it.  Normal transverter operation is to used a 25W drive unit and then add on a power amplifier on the back end.  Have a look at what the EME guys do for 2M when they use an HF IF.  

Check out w6pql's site:  https://www.w6pql.com/1_kw_2m_ldmos_amplifier.htm

Mike

• roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited May 2019
    I found a web page for this one  http://www.ssbusa.com/HLV-1000.html  I called the number on the page but never get an answer.  When it goes to voicemail it says mail box full so I guess they are not in business.  Their web page advertises that its for the flex 6700 low power xvtr output. 

BEKO HLV-1000LPD          2 Meter RF Power Amplifier with 1,000 Watts RF output with as little

as 3 mW RF Drive

“From Milliwatts to Kilowatts”

The price is probably $15k

• Greg SP7QJF
    Greg SP7QJF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Thank you all for your help.
    I came to the conclusion that the IC-9700 will be a better base for transvertwery due to its sensitivity.
    Weak signals at high frequencies require very good sensitivity while all Flex products are simply deaf. I equated IC-9700 and Flex 6700 to 144MHz.
    A weak signal at 6,700 is not audible at all, it can be picked up without problems. Sensitivity IC-9700 0.08uV, while Flex 6700 is 0.25uV. It is a bad choice for EME Flex
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited May 2019
    Cant disagree with that.  I am also in search of a good EME radio.  Actually the ICOM 7100 at $750 not looking bad.

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited May 2019
    I did some research on the 9700 and I did find some things you may want to research.

It does have some drift issues and while it is good to 0.5ppm, that means your drift can be substantial.  At 400 Mhz, it can drift around by about 200hz and be within Spec.  There is a video on YouTube that shows this.

I am not sure how you did your sensitivity research on the Flex with a Q5 transverter.   I will do some actual research on this, but our CTO is a weak signal person and he would not put up with poor sensitivity.  

The one advantage of a Flex as the IF is that I can be on multiple Transverted frequencies at the same time on the same antenna and the same amplifier.  Something you are not able to do on 9700.  In fact, the other day, I was monitoring 144.200 on a quiet band, and I would have totally missed the qso on 144.210 and I was also doing and decoding FT8 on 2M at the same time.  That was a deal breaker for me.

Mike

• Greg SP7QJF
    Greg SP7QJF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Flex 6700 have 144MHz :)
  • Greg SP7QJF
    Greg SP7QJF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

I agree with you about Flex. I checked 9700 and there is no drift
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited May 2019
    Greg, the FLEX-6700 is built for a 2m IF -- not a base station rig to be connected directly to the antenna.  The noise figure is around 9dB with the preamp in the +30dB configuration.  Since these measurements were made, we added an additional preamp setting of +40dB.  

The two most important things that affect sensitivity of a receiver at 6m and up are 1) the insertion loss of any feed line or device placed between the antenna and receiver and 2) the first gains stage of the receiver.  For any kind of weak signal work, we expected that a preamp would be used on the FLEX-6700.  To determine what kind of gain/preamp would be required, AppCad can help.  In short, the sensitivity at the antenna connector is unimportant unless you're hoping to hook an antenna directly to the radio.  If you have more specific questions, I'm happy to answer them
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    OK, I misread your request. how about 432:

https://shop.kuhne-electronic.com/kuh... I have one of these for my 6700.
  • Gary W9GD
    Gary W9GD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Mike,

I am taking the leep of faith and going to try the Q5 product on the Flex 6400M. Can you tell me what options you would feel best to select  when ordering one for 2 meter.

Gary KD9FML
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited October 2019
    Gary

For a 6400, I would just tell them common IF and that your output power from the XVTR port is 10dbm.   

For power out, that is your preference.  Just make sure you have a powerful enough power supply to power the XVTR.   You will need an RCA keying cable and a BNC to BNC patch cable.  Output from the XVTR is N connectors.

Common IF
    Common RF
    0dbm - +20dbm drive
    PTT - low ground
    I would get the High Stability OSC
    Standard 28Mhz IF

You can also call them and talk to them.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I just told them I had a 6600M and they knew what to do.  A quality product. 
  • Gary W9GD
    Gary W9GD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Mike and Neil thank you both . Will order in AM can’t wait to try it .
  • Gary W9GD
    Gary W9GD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Mike I received the Q5 150 watt version.  I hooked it up and was a snap. I had the DBi set at 12 it worked fine. However 2 days later i tried to get more power out so i raised it to the max 15 dbi and now i cant get any output on FM appears to look like just a carrier.  Did the Q5 take a dump or what am i doing wrong. Possible a setting in my 6400M ? My Flex had to reboot when Smart SDR crashed . Then i ran the Q5 from the radio directly same issue. I tried HF and all modes work fine.  Anyone have any suggestions I can try ?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.