Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any one know of an external Firewire card or an adapter (USB-Firewire) for use with a Flex 5000A rad

Arvind Mallya
Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
I have a Flex 5000A radio with Firewire interface.  It is getting harder to manage, I would like to use a newer computer to drive it but can't find a USB-Firewire adapter or a card.  If anyone knows a product I'll appreciate a feedback.

Answers

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you are looking for a firewire card for your desktop computer, this is what I used in my sdr computers:
    https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-FireWire-2-Port-PCIe-NN-E20012-S2/dp/B000G6U8VY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&q...
  • Geoff
    Geoff Member
    edited June 2020

Hi Arvind. To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as a usb to firewire adaptor. The data transfer systems are completely different. You will need a pci firewire card as suggested by Neal. Do remember only use a 400 Mhz version not 800 Mhz. There will be plenty on eBay as well I should imagine. You could of course remove the card you already have and put it into the new pc.73 Geoff.
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks yes makes sense for the speed between the standards. So they come in 400 and 800MHz versions?  I have a laptop now with a firewire plug in card, but it is running Widows 7.  I have not upgraded do you know if that will support Windows 10?   If I remove the card and put into a newer computer I'm concerned it will not support Windows 10?
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Neal, Thanks do you know if this will support Windows 10 or need to have an older version?

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Yes I had no trouble with the same card for years when I had my 5000a. The key is the SIIG has the Texas Instrument chipset and has the reputation of working most consistently.

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The drivers are already included with Win10 and Win7,. however in win7 you need to change the default driver to the 'Legacy' firewire driver (win7's driver was defective and never fixed). Its fine in Win10 however, you do not need to change anything.

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    You can use a 1394B (800) card with your flex, you just need the appropriate cable (they are different from B to A, of course!) Watch out on ebay,  I would avoid it unless you are getting the exact card I mentioned, there are more than a few cards that are so poorly designed they will not work with the Flex. Stick with the SIIG and TI Chip. You can get the TI chip in some cards which will work for a while then burn out.
  • Bob- W5TX
    Bob- W5TX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Arvin, another possible approach is to buy a used MacBook Pro which had FireWire port until 2012. Dedicate MacBook to radio and use boot camp or parallels for Windows.
  • Bob- W5TX
    Bob- W5TX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Arvind sorry for name mixup. **** fingers!
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Bob, No worries you wrote my name just the way it is pronounced
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Bob, Good to know about the MacBook pro and the FireWire ports. I stashed one more old AMD computer with a FireWire card and I think XP operating system.
  • Paul Rawlings
    Paul Rawlings Member
    edited November 2019
    There are lots of compatibility issues between Windows 10 and the Flex firewire driver 4.1.3.1737. If you have a working computer with XP or Windows 7 and a firewire card you will have a lot less headaches. Some people seem to be able to get Windows 10 to work and others have had some major headaches.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.