Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Bandwidth buttons modifications

David
David Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Is it possible to modify the bandwidth settings on the buttons? Additionally is it possible to change which default buttons are presented? Personally I have found many stations have too high a level in the below 200hz area of their audio that it is muddy and less intelligible. It would good to be able to modify the default low and high end cut levels instead of having to select and then carefully type to adjust.

Answers

• Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You mean customizable filters like we had in PowerSDR so many years ago?  That has been on a lot of our wish lists since the day SmartSDR was introduced.  Quit asking, it's not going to happen.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I don't think it is fair to say it will never happen, unless Charles is speaking for Flex.
    It may happen, but it looks like it is not as important as many of the other things they are working on.
  • Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    It should happen. This is basic blocking and tackling, just like programmable frequency increments, so DXers can match RIT increments that the DX uses. These are both general usage, important to DXing, and should take very little code to implement.
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I agree. It'll make SSDR even more powerful with really no downside.
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Don't the "Low" and "High" knobs at the top of my 6600M do that?
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I am referring to the SSR software without the Maestro.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Good luck on this happening, been "in consideration" for many years now..  Flex wont spend the time to correct/improve many basic features.  
  • FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
     We had that with Power SDR. It was the best. Hey Flex. Take Power SDR and Smart SDR and combine them.. You will sell a ton of radios. Oh yea, Fix the NB and Notch filter while your at it and we will be all set.
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Yes, on the Maestro the low/high cutoffs can be modified.  But....you can't customize filters and save the modified filters in SmartSDR like in the older PowerSDR software. I guess we'll have to wait for ReallySmartSDR.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I'm not sure I see any benefit to this. I just adjust the low and high cutoff frequencies as needed. If I were to configure a button with different settings I would probably change it the next time I used it.

That's just me though...
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    For me I want the low cut to be at 200 instead of 100 by default and not have to keep adjusting each time the 2.4 button is selected for example. It is a bit of a game to get it right at the 200 using the mouse to slide the adjustment.
  • Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    This presumes the regular presets are what you want. For me, they are not. Adjusting them by hand is painful with the controls provided, especially if you operate remotely. Try setting a CW filter for 200 hz, perfectly balanced. It's not fun and not what I want to be doing while chasing DX before the pileup comes, which is often measured in seconds.
  • W9HH - Steve
    W9HH - Steve Member
    edited November 2019
    Agreed, the bandwidth buttons for me are difficult to manipulate, so I don't bother with it. I just grab the edge of the pass band in slice and drag the bandwidth to where I want it. It's much faster for me to adjust than fooling around with those buttons. - Just a thought. 
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    With Christmas (and a major purchasing season) approaching perhaps FRS will decided to put out a new SSDR V3.x release.  It would certainly be a timely sales boost strategy. 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    I've been asking for this feature for a long time. I do not use a 100 - 1900 Hz filter for SSB. The 1,8k should be 400 - 2200 Hz.

What I do is have memories set up and select a memory if I want my ESSB RX bandwidth of 50 -4000. Once you create a memory you can then edit the low and high filters as well as other parameters. Not as easy as having customized buttons but it does work.

Another workaround is to create buttons on the StreamDeck which allow setting the high/low cut at the press of a button. For those that have a StreamDeck this is even easier than trying to hover the mouse over the bandwidth button in SmartSDR.

Again, I would like to see customizable buttons but these are two workarounds.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.