Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6400 Losing Connection leading to loss of SSB transmit power. Multiple issues

W5IO
W5IO Member ✭✭
These have been  on going issues with 6400 since I got it. I am using Windows 7 Prof. on a Think Center with Intel i5. SDR ver. 2.6.1 but this has been a problem with older versions also.

1st. Issue: Loose connection to radio. This happens at odd times, usually when I leave the Flex on all day, I come back to find error warning that connection has been lost. When I reconnect, I usually have to close then reopen DAX. How do I stop the drop?

2nd Issue: After losing connection and reconnecting there is no SSB output. The audio is there per the compression and audio meters. I have to completely turn off the 6400 and sometimes even turn off the 12V power supply then bring it all back up to regain transmit output. This does not happen as often with CW.

Any ideas on how to resolve?

Comments

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    My comment is more related to the comment on Windows 7,,, At some point Flex can not be expected to continue to improve its software if it must continue to support older versions of Windows...I am sure that everyone at Flex is running windows 10 on their company and home computers... Could be some Apple Users as well..

Their is a reason that so many after market programs, ham radio or in my case Astronomy, are written for IOS or Windows... When you have a laptop that has worked reliably on older versions, you have a valid point onb why change... I still have a older HP laptop with windows XP for strictly Astronomy use, or should I say HAD.. Sure running a Meade LX200 12" with basic astronomy TO GO software was not a bad combination..

But then I got word that this particular companies next release of software would only work with Windows 10.. So I dumped XP that had zero updates in the last 5 years, for Windows 10.. Not only did everything work FASTER, my Meade Telliscope operated far superior with its GoTo function but my Astro-Photography also got enhanced.. I added in a Anti Virus Program, and now was able to interface my old XP computer with the Internet to get those real time updates on Programs and the like.. 

I hope you get your answer to your problem,, But a $5000 radio deserves more then Windows 7, And BTW...

On January 14, 2020, Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7. Mainstream supported ended in 2015, but Windows 7 has carried on receiving security updates thanks to extended support. When that ends in 2020, Windows 7 will remain as it is. Businesses will be able to pay Microsoft for continued Windows 7 support.

Robert

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The 2nd issue would be caused from issue 1. Can you please explain how you are connected?, what to what? then we can help with your connection loses.
  • W5IO
    W5IO Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The 6400 is connected by CAT 5 to a 5 port switch that is CAT 5 to a TrendNet Extend a Range (300meg) that connects wirelessly to router.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    That is a flacky connection at best, sorry. Is there any way you can hard wire to the switch, then to the router?
    the problem as I see it is...using an extender    and using wireless to the router.
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    For the record, I have mine cat5 to a switch, then cat5 to an Asus router, then to an over air isp, and it all works very well, even when I am in a dentist chair 40 miles away on his local router wireless connection, I would suspect some ports bumping heads, buffer bloat, isp port restrictions, several possibilities. The tx audio issue is more likely a dax issue which has windows created errors after some given updates that cause some dax sound devices to me renamed wrong. if your router or area booster is updating, or restarting for any reason that can cause a disconnect. Just a bit of 'stuff thrown at the wall' for you to check out and see what sticks.  Good Luck!

• W5IO
    W5IO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I can experiment by running CAT 5 from the switch directly to the router, about a 50ft. run. But, since the extender  creates it's own network and the PC and 6400 are both on this network, why would it improve connectivity going back to the router?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    In the past, the use of extenders have been a problem in many systems. That is not to say it will never work, As mentioned wireless connections work for remote yes, but if you have your system on all day, a wireless connection will have more possible drop outs than a hard wired system.
  • W5IO
    W5IO Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Ok Thanks for the info. I will rig up a test run of CAT5 and bypass the extender in the next week or so.

• Randy
    Randy Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Most wifi extenders only get about half through put from whatever is feeding them and they can be problematic at best.  If you need to have a multi node wireless system, try the Netgear Orbi.  I have a two node system and cover every inch of my house and yard.  You can even add more nodes.  It runs full speed at all nodes.  It uses a separate radio to talk between nodes.  A little pricy, but worth in in reliability and speed.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.