Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Win 10 Upgrade 1909

W9WLX_Chuck
W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Using v3.1.8 and upgraded to Win 10 1909 without any DAX naming issues.  The upgrade seemed pretty light, so not sure if there was anything in the upgrade that would have caused the problem.   In any event, thanks Flex team for resolving this one!

Chuck, W9WLX

Comments

• Santiago Mejia HI8O
    Santiago Mejia HI8O Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    One can conclude that if Win 10 is used version 3 is better recommended?

Santiago
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Yes. For me, since upgrading to version 3.1.7, I have not had any Win 10 DAX renaming issues. 
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited November 2019
    That is something I must consider then, because I’m upgrading to a new shack PC with Windows 10.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I did the 1909 feature upgrade on both computers this morning and all went well.  I've seen no DAX problems since 3.1.x was released.

• Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited March 2020
    Finally made the move to version 3.1.x to go with my new shack PC. Fingers crossed for Windows 10 updates from now on.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Installed Win10 v1909 and running SmartSDR v2.6.1 and DAX & CAT and other related software; (FT-8) are operating normal. 
    NO ISSUES ENCOUNTERED ON THIS WIN 10 SOFTWARE INSTALLATION!
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I'm using the latest 2.x version. On Saturday I sat through the "October" Win update. While holding my breath, I restarted and all seemed OK. I did experience two minor issues.  DAX no longer starts automatically. Once I manually activate it, all works just fine. On my dual monitor setup, the two monitors got reversed, and all the program icons moved to the primary monitor. Simple fix moving them. I don't regard either as being caused by Flex software.
  • W9WLX_Chuck
    W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You can set DAX and CAT to auto launch with SSDR.  On the DAX and CAT control panels, check the On Startup, Auto Connect Last Radio. uto 
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Yes, already done. 
  • Logan KE7AZ
    Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I "downgraded" from Win 7 to Win 10.  Lots of problems from a formerly stable, reliable system.  The 1909 upgrade had downloaded but not installed.  When I opened SmartSDR, I got a portcls.sys BSOD.  A couple of reboots and 1909 installed.  When I opened SmartSDR, all of my CAT entries were gone and I had the default set!  The virtual ports are still listed in the Device Manager.  So the adventure begins as I try to restore my setup....  A knob radio looks better every day that my $1500 deposit sits in Watsonville waiting for the new year.f
  • W9WLX_Chuck
    W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I might be wrong, but wasn't the latest updates supposed to fix problems associated with Windows updates? I am not going to brag, but so far I have not had any of these issues. The only thing that I might be able to attribute this to is that I always shut down all Flex and Flex associated software before allowing any updates. The repair process is not that difficult and enjoying my Flexradio is well worth the occasional PIA.
  • W9WLX_Chuck
    W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I also take it one step further and have a short .bat file that I run which does a 'taskkill' on each task Smart SDR may be running--just to make sure there are no remnants left running.
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I went from 1809 to 1909 with no issues, Windows wise,  DAX or otherwise.  It did take a while and I had to restrain myself and just let it do it's thing.  
  • Logan KE7AZ
    Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I tried that but it didn't work.  I put in a Help Desk ticket and Tim pointed me to a file that I needed to delete.  That fixed the problem.
  • Logan KE7AZ
    Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I usually uninstall SmartSDR before an update.  Unfortunately, unknown to me, the 1909 update was lurking in the background waiting for a reboot.  When I started SmartSDR to check a frequency, I got the PORTCLS.SYS BSDOD and it shut down SmartSDR, forced a reboot and "we are off to the races."  Got it straightened out with a Help Desk ticket, this morning.
  • W9WLX_Chuck
    W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Yep, deleting CAT.setting is part of the procedure.  Pleased to hear you're back up!
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited May 2020
    Just did the 1909 myself a few minutes ago. While it wasn´t a confortable wait at the end I had no issues. So far, that is.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Same story here, two PC's updated with latest 1909 and no issues.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭

My Intel Nuc refuses to complete the update. It fails and gives me a screen that it needs to gather more info. Following that it shuts down. Two more attempts eventually gets me to a self repair mode which reverts back to the previous 1903 version. I’ve tried all the on line suggestions including trying to update from ab ISO downloaded from MS. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

• aa3ssradio
    aa3ssradio Member ✭✭
    I had to uninstall Smart SDR then do the update then reinstall Smart SDR on my NUC.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭

There has been some discussion both here and on the Flex Community about installation problems related to the latest Windows 10 update. I have an i5 Intel NUC as my Flex backup computer and recently received a popup message that build 1903 was nearing the end of its life cycle. I decided to do the update. Multiple attempts got me to ~ 80%, after which I got a blue page informing me a problem occurred and “information must be collected”. After another 2 reboots it went into a “self diagnostic” mode and eventually reverted to the previous version. This cycle continued for about 2 weeks. None of the “solutions” I found online worked. On Dave’s (WO2X) suggestion I even downloaded the ISO image of the latest version and tried an update by booting from the thumb drive – still, no success. On the same page MS offers an upload assistant where you can download the latest version which appears to totally manually install Win 10 and reboot. It took 45 minutes, but it worked! I’m now using “20H2” Build 19042.630.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Use the Update Now link

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.