Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ARRL FMT -- getting the most accurate frequency

13»

Comments

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    GetError has nothing to do with GPSDO. It’s the error caused by the truncated tuning word. Not every frequency can be directly represented by the tuning word.
  • W9WLX_Chuck
    W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Everything you said it true, however the get_error command is only useful if the radio is GPS locked or locked to a 10MHz reference. The result does not take into account any drift in the internal OCXO or TCXO.
    http://wiki.flexradio.com/index.php?title=TCP/IP_slice#GET_ERROR
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Bill, is there an area of the document that is misleading regarding get_error and GPSDO? If so, identify where and I will update the master to avoid any confusion.

Ron
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Chuck, I'll have to defer to the folk at Flex as all I did was pull together the "How To" and don't have enough insight into the internal workings of the Flex. 

As to your results, the last 2 frequencies look to be the WWV frequencies less 1500Hz. Were you measuring WWV and providing the slice frequency?

As to the other 2, I don't recognize those. DId you used a signal generator referenced to a GPSDO to generate the 2 test frequencies then measured the error on the 6600 using the method outlined by Steve and documented in my PDF? If so, one possible factor could be that GPSDOs are extremely accurate when averaged over the long term but not as accurate for short term measurements. 

Ron
  • W9WLX_Chuck
    W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Ron, yes I was measuring WWV.  The other two frequencies are two regional AM broadcasters in my area (620 & 1130 KHz).  I was curious what I would get measuring their frequency.  I used 100 measurements sampled over about 5 minutes and took a mean average for each signal.

Thanks for putting the document together.  Nicely done!

Chuck
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Practicing for tomorrow night received a Slice Get_error -45.774696 on my 6700 running 3.1.8

Ron, no problems with your document.
  • Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    It's tonight at 8 PM CST, 7 PM EST.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Always forget UTC starts the days B4 here thanks Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.