Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hi people. The question is, is there an android program for remote control?

JOHN GREEN
JOHN GREEN Member
edited November 2023 in Third-Party Software
 is there an android program for remote control? I use a Samsung tablet GALAXY TAB S2  ANDROID 6.0.1

Answers

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    AFAIK there was only FlexDroid by William Hemmingsen, which was not further developed: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/android-app-c125j42djuoai
    It works only if you have started your FlexRadio and SmartSDR. You can tune, select bands
    and modes and change some radio settings.
    I can send the apk file, if you let me know your mail address (I'm on QRZ.com)
    Vy 73, Alex - DH2ID

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You could build a Node Red interface to the radio and then use the web browser on your Galaxy Tab to control it with.  This would allow controlling basics like frequency, mode, bands etc.  It would not be anything like the iOS app. 

You could also build a radio interface using Touch Portal and control the radio with your Galaxy Tab.  Much like I am doing with my old iPad and Touch Portal.  This requires using other third party apps like FRStack, FRLogger, etc to control parts of the radio.  Again, this would not be anything like the iOS app.

You could also RDP into a computer running SSDR with TeamViewer and control the radio from your Galaxy.  This is the easiest option !

Just some ideas of how to use your Galaxy with your Flex radio.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited November 2019
    I'll comment on the RDP. Watch out if you do not have unlimited data on your phone! I did that a while ago before V2 came out and was using 1.1 GB of data an hour!

Dave wo2x

• N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Splashtop remote has better throughput, cleaner audio and uses less system resources then team-viewer- https://www.splashtop.com/

• John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Excellent question John as I am an Android fan as well. Another workaround albeit clumsily is the use of either teamviewer or anydesk which are remote desktop programs.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The screenshot below is low resolution compared to my tablet screen.  It shows how I operate my complete station remotely, including a Flex 6300, from a Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 In Muti-screen mode.

The top window is Chrome Remote Desktop showing my PC at home. The bottom window is RCForb for Android from the Play store.  It operates the Flex via the free RCForb server running on the same PC at home as is running the radio, rotator, SteppIR and antenna switch.  RCForb also provides two-way audio to and from the radio.  I've hardwired the audio between the PC and radio due to all the trouble with DAX but now that DAX is more stable, it should work as well.  I haven't tried it lately.  Please note, Microsoft Remote Desktop is not suitable as it disrupts the PC's audio drivers.

This same arrangement works perfectly on my Android 6 inch cell phone too.  Although lower density displays will work, a 1080P display is the minimum that I find suitable for good clarity without having to zoom in and out.

You can control the amount of data used by slowing the waterfall and limiting the spectrum refresh rate.  I find that I can get it down to around 600 Kbits/Sec. if necessary.  A good compromise of waterfall speed and data rate is around 1-Mbit/Sec.  Of all the cell carriers, I find that AT&T works best.

I set the RCForb server for the Kenwood command set which works well for the Flex.  The Flex command set spawns dual screen and I could never get rid of it.

You'll have to update your Android to 7.0 for multi-screen.

• Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You can get the RCForb Android client, for your phone or tablet, from the Android Play Store. Extensive documentation, a free Windows remote client and the server, which is required for your Windows PC at the station, is available at www.remotehams.com.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023

I posted a YouTube video of my evolved version of the above approach to remoting my Flex Radio from an Android phone.

I've upgraded to a Flex 6600 but all 6xxx models should work the same. The cell phone you are watching in the video is a Samsung S22 on Verizon's Visible prepaid priority unlimited data plan.

RCForb is in the lower portion of the screen. RCForb is a native Android Remote client in the Play Store for $10 and is the only software cost.

The preferred RDP server is Chrome Remote Desktop. It and RCForb server for the PC are both free and are available at remotehams.com and remotedesktop.google.com respectively.

The Remote Desktop (RDP) client is running on the phone in the top. The RDP screen is of my station PC at home. In addition to SmartSDR, it shows PST-Rotator which controls the rotator, antenna switch and SteppIR in three separate windows. Also showing is the remote software for my Elecraft amplifier.

Some might find things small in the RDP portion, but it's easy to zoom up and down when needed. Muscle memory is usually all I need.

The RDP client in this video is Remotix. I'm using it for video clarity because it shows mouse clicks and a larger curser. My preferred RDP app is Chrome Remote Desktop, particularly on a slow connection. The Chrome RDP client is available in the Play Store Chrome RDP doesn't interfere with the PC's sound drivers and is more bandwidth efficient than most other RDP solutions. Bandwidth requirements vary with waterfall rate and frames per second settings in SmartSDR.

Note, RCForb is operated with using your finger, including rotation of the tuning knob. The RDP curser is also moved with your finger using the screen as a trackpad. No mouse is used.

I hope you find this update useful.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.