Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I need a better understanding of what's going on in FT8 F/H

Ed Stallman
Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in Third-Party Software
Question while using FT8 F/H , I'm using the Flex 6600 with Slicemaster to execute WSJT.  This morning while calling  T6AA my dial freq on the flex was 7.070.00 F/H . I go into the WSJT settings and tick Hound plus check the square box, then under Radio I check  Rig and OK . I get the red flag  stating I"m in Hound mode . I'm copying T6AA at 495 Hz , I set the red TX at 2002 Hz ... Now when I transmit  I see the WSJT freq shift from 7.070.000 to 7.070.500 ... All this looks as it should up to this point !

Here's the part I don't understand . I stopped transmitting long enuf to be sure I'm on a clear freq , What I see big signal on my TX freq 2002 HZ . The op was a friend of mine who was on the ON4KST low band chat . I tell him we are both transmitting on 2002 HZ . My friend and others all agree that I'm not on 2002 Hz , that they decode me at 1502 HZ . I move my Red TX to 2502 Hz and ask the group where they decode me now ? They all agree I'm still on 1502 HZ .

If this is the way it's supposed to work , I fine this strange ? to be sure I'm TXing on a clear freq I have to subtract 500 or 1000 Hz from where I place my Red goalie ... Or is something setup wrong somewhere ?

Answers

• John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Make sure you don't have the TX slice locked. If you do you'll be transmitting at a spot you do not think you are and could be causing QRM. Works the same outside of F/H mode when you are using one of the split options.

Edit to add that you can also watch your waterfall which will show you were you are transmitting at.

Hope to catch you out there.
  • Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi John tnx reply , I checked and slice lock is NOT locked .

I don' understand ?>>> Edit to add that you can also watch your waterfall which will show you were you are transmitting at.

Ed N5DG
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Make sure you have "Show TX in waterfall" enabled. You get to that setting by going to settings, Radio setup, then TX. Once done, do a test into a dummy load. Place your TX slider in wsjt at say 500hz and transmit. You'll see your TX in the waterfall. It should be near the edge of the RX frequency slice. Now move it to say 2500hz and transmit and you'll see it at the other side. This will tell you if what you have set in wsjt is really happening or if you are transmitting some place else.
  • Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    John tnx , I found it and very good information , I will test that while waiting for a friend to be home so to also check my freq. I think I found my problem ! Instead of using Rig in the WSJT settings , I tried Fake It ... Now both the WSJT and the Flex Freq change instead of only the WSJT changing . I'll post back after my friend checks me out 

Thanks Ed N5DG
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You are very welcome Ed. The settings Rig and Fake it both pretty much do the same thing. Personally I like fake it best with SSDR. Of course you can't really use either on 60m. If you are still having troubles, I do have teamviewer and Anydesk installed and we can talk by phone as we poke around. Right now wife needs me on the tractor so that is where I am headed.

• Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Happy wife , Happy life 

Ed

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.