Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

IOT (Interference of Things)

Bernie W7DMC
Bernie W7DMC Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in New Ideas
Just a couple of interesting observations
Running SSDR on laptop. Had large external monitor plugged into laptop. When I transmitted with power (PGXL) laptop (which is in a room away from radio and amp) would have little dropouts. Put ferrites on everything, still happening. Out of frustration unplugged external monitor preparing to move laptop, and happened to try again. No problems. External monitor now removed. No further problems.
Next had a GFI on a kitchen circuit keep popping when I transmitted with the hexbeam pointed over the kitchen. Thought "oh no" I have a have a chunk of wiring buried in the wall that is resonant on 20 mtrs, my go to band. Remembering what had happened with the external monitor I decided to unplug the microwave on that circuit, thinking there is no way it could be that. Guess what, problem gone. Microwave now has a line switch in it, bit of a pain but can't microwave and be on radio at same time anyway.
Just an FYI. When them sneaky liitle RF bits stray they can do all sorts of strange things.

Comments

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Had an S8 noise problem with new coffee maker when it was turned OFF. It now has a line switch. Noise problem solved.
  • Dean Davidson
    Dean Davidson Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Had 30 over noise on 80m when wife used the front load electrolux washer . Went to local washer repair shop got a input line voltage filter off of a samsung they had junked added it to line voltage input of the electrolux and noise gone.
  • Randy
    Randy Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    You can try a new GFCI.  Some of the older ones were prone to this.  At my old house I had 3 that gave a problem.  Changed out and no more problems.

• Bernie W7DMC
    Bernie W7DMC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Worth a try - Thanks
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I had to replace 3 or 4 GFCI's because the old ones would trip if I was running the SPE.  New ones cured it.  Do a search on ones that are RFI resistant.  I don't recall the brand name of the new ones I ordered.

• Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I had a somewhat different issue:  I have one of those kitchen faucets that turns on and off by touch. Every time I would key my amp, the kitchen faucet would turn on!  My wife was not as amused as I was.  Ferrite beads and making a coil with my lead-in wire seems to have finally solved the issue.
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Maybe there's a way to incorporate that into a **** tap!?.  More seriously, we have a lighted china cabinet and the lights go on and off with my RF emissions.  We just unplug it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.