Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Just ordered 6400 replacing K3S

W0GEN
W0GEN Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
Just ordered a 6400 and Maestro to replace my K3S.  I will be operating my system remotely for 5 months a year (winter Texan), and plan to use my KAT500 and KPA500.
Currently using a prolific cable, and understand that I need to change this.  Should I call Elecraft to get the right cables, or Flex?  Would like to make sure that I can start / stop and switch to from operate to standby, and ideally would like to do this without having a PC in the shack.  Is this possible?  I did search this forum, but really not finding a black and white answer, perhaps you could point me the right direction...
Thanks in advance for the advice!

Answers

• Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I have run the KPA500/KAT500 for a while directly from the radio and from a computer using DDUTIL.  To turn it on/off and operate/standby you have to do it from a computer using DDUTIL.  I am using them connected to the radio now just because DDUTIL has not come out in the Multi User version.  I was having a problem with the current DDUTIL V4 disconnecting when I came in remotely using the current version of the software while has Multiflex.  If you bad down to version 2.4.9 it will work ok but you will still need a computer.

BTW, my KPA500 died this week and is on the way to Elecraft.  They have had problems with the T/R circuits since 2015.  I bought mine in 2016 and it died.  Hope you don't have that issue but a bunch of us had.

You'll like the 6400.

Harold
    W5ZZT
  • Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Bill,

I just looked at your QRZ page and see you are an RV'er.  Where in Texas are you staying?  I am in the Dallas area.

Harold
  • Robby
    Robby Member
    edited October 2019
    I used my KPA500 with my 6400 for a while. I used a special cable that Elecraft makes for this purpose. It worked very well and was easy to hook up.

-Robby
    HP3SS

• W0GEN
    W0GEN Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I have to update my QRZ!  We took our RV down to Mission TX last year and fell in love with the area, ended up buying a home and selling the RV.  Heading down there in a couple of weeks for the winter.  
  • W0GEN
    W0GEN Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thank You!  Sounds like I need to check with Elecraft and see what they want to sell me... LOL
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The USB to serial cables (sourced from Elecraft) connected to your 6400 and the KPA500 and KAT500  will provide simple band switching. But, if you want full control of  the Elecraft equipment (e.g. on/off, Stby/Oper plus temperature, current, voltage, SWR) with no PC running in the shack, you can employ an Ethernet to serial converter with Elecraft utility apps installed on your remote PC.  This solution relies on either explicit manual control or automatic RF sensing to accomplish band switching.   Some basic information is discussed in this thread...
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/remote-turn-on-kpa500

Also, for remote power management and remote on/off for the 6400, KPA500 and KAT500, the Digital Loggers Web Power Switch and the AC relay accessory (for the 6400 remote on/off loop) is a good solution:
    https://www.amazon.com/Web-Power-Switch-Pro-Model/dp/B0765NCB2L/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=digital+loggers&qid=1571488529&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Enclosed-AC-Protection-Bounce-Terminals/dp/B017743I7S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=digital+loggers+ac+relay&qid=1571488639&sr=8-1

The DLI web switch has an embedded web browser interface -- no software required. 

Larry KB1VFU

• W0GEN
    W0GEN Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thank you Larry!  I will check this out.... 
  • K1DLM
    K1DLM Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Another option would be to use the a RemoteRig 1216H to have remote web control and monitoring of the amp.  This eliminates the need to leave a PC running with all the grief that comes from that.  You will need a usb cable attached to the flex to pass band data to the amp as well. 
  • W0GEN
    W0GEN Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thanks!  I ordered a USR-N540, this will allow me to put my serial cables from my rotor and KPA500 plus having two additional "future" ports for my shack.  
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    There are MANY different was to accomplish this but after a few years of having a remote station set up here is what I have now.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/plug-and-play-remote-on-for-flexradio

I use several of the DLI switch's to control 12volt  and AC 110Volt things when running remote so I buy the Power **** TP-Link KASA unit here https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-Power-****-TP-Link/dp/B07G95FFN3/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3T452H180WSPW&keywords=wemo+power+****&qid=1571494839&sprefix=wemo+power+%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-4   

I switch the Amplifier,  Antenna Tuner,  Antenna switch,  Radio Power supply, and a Computer just in case I need to run Teamviewer or better yet Remote desktop and make changes in the shack.
     I use my Cellphone or Tablet to manage the powered devices and works extremely well with the WEMO power ****. 

You probably want to have a Antenna switch in case of lightning and a way to **** the 12 Volt Power to the shack encase you have a radio crash and need to have a way to power it back up. 

The KPA500 and FLEX is a great combination, I run it on the FLEX6600 you will need a REAL FTDI chipset RS232 Cable.  

Here is the FLEX interfacing guide but you may already have it.
    https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/?_ga=2.199560430.1500450967.1571426618-148270530.1571426618

Here is a picture of my KASA on my IPHONE 

73's and hope this helps
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Yes, there is a VCOM virtual serial port driver that you will need to install on both your remote PC and shack PC (needed when you are operating on your LAN).  

On your remote PC you will configure VCOM for the defined serial ports on your PC, direct the output to the external IP address assigned to your router by your ISP and employ port forwarding on your router to relay data to the private IP address assigned to the N540 and the unique port numbers assigned to the four serial hardware ports (DB9).  This is screen shot of VCOM on my shack computer:

Get the latest version of the driver and manual off the USR-IOT website:
    https://www.usriot.com/products/4-ports-serial-to-ethernet-converter.html

I use PSTRotator with my Green Heron RT-21 and SteppIR SDA100 for local and remote ops and it performs reliably. 

First time setup can be little challenging as it is for a lot of unfamiliar software, so let let me know if you need any assistance and I'll send you screen shots and other details.  I can be contacted directly via e-mail shown on my QRZ.com page. 

Good luck and 73,
    Larry KB1VFU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.