Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Transverter Socket/settings

Darren G7DAZ
Darren G7DAZ Member
edited October 2019 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
Hi all,

I have just won on Fleabay a Microwave Modules 2M Converter (a poormans receive only transverter) with 144 IN, 28 OUT and 116 OUT sockets; it will arrive in a day or two but i decided to setup PSDR in advance of it's arrival.

Which is the better socket on the converter to use i.e. the 28MHz or the 116MHz socket ? and what are the settings in PSDR XVTR settings/setup do i set/use ?

My 5000a doesn't have the 144 MHz BNC socket on the rear....there is a BNC socket in it's place but it is labelled "INT XVTR"  (i assume as my model doesn't have the optional vu5k VHF/UHF transverter/s built in) .....is this socket the same/not-used/other ??? What's it's purpose then ?

Many thanks in advance.

73 de G7DAZ (Darren/Daz)

Answers

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    116 is the LO frequency. The IF is 28 mhz
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    You mentioned Microwave Modules ... I still use an older MMT144/28R. Mine has to be about 35 years old. It definitely transmits and receives and performs very well, despite its age.  I don't recall them making a receive only version. Not sure how much you paid for it, but the Ukrainian transverters are very inexpensive and they do work. More expensive models are obviously better, but as an entry level transverter its a good start. In the setup, you will enter 116 mhz as the LO. The IF is 28 mhz. I now use mine on the 6500, but originally I used it with my Flex 5000 and it worked very well.
  • Darren G7DAZ
    Darren G7DAZ Member
    edited October 2019
    Hi Bob,
    many thanks for replying; i gathered it'd be the 116 output but thought i'd ask to be sure. I paid £7.62 ($9.59) for it; peanuts really. I decided to get this rather than the Ukranian version as back in the day i had a few Microwave Modules (ATV converter, 2m 100w amp and a 70cm amp (35w iirc)) and they were built very well...i still have the ATV converter after 30 or so years in my junk pile. The 2m activity in my neck of the woods is almost dead (from rumor) so i decided to have a "listen" and if there is more life on 2m than i've been told about then i may get the Ukranian transverter (although some reviews say it "wanders" all over the place). I sold all my black boxes years ago so haven't done any 2m or UHF in years. The idea of monitoring 2m on my 5000a 2nd rx brings a smile to my face....you gotta love Panafall's ;-)

I'm still "curious" about that INT XVTR socket on the back if anyone has any input it'd be much appreciated.

73 de G7DAZ (Darren/Daz)
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The 5000 was sold with an internal transverse right as an option. That plug was likely associated with that option. I don’t recall it as it’s been a few years since I had my 5000.
  • Darren G7DAZ
    Darren G7DAZ Member
    edited October 2019
    Yeah i guestimated that the US market (and similar) version had the VU5K fitted or as an "option" to buy......whereas the UK (and similar) didn't; ergo the US version socket is designated "144" and the UK/European version socket is designated "INT XVTR"......assuming i could source a VU5K module then it would connect to the "INT XVTR" socket (inside the rig) OR is this socket NOT CONNECTED or does it serve some OTHER purpose on the UK/European versions ?

In a nutshell WHY are they designated differently (if they don't share the same purpose) ?

73 de G7DAZ (Darren/Daz)
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I have no idea, and never realized that US and EU versions were different. I considered the VU5K, but from a cost standpoint it was much less expensive to use external transverters. Judging from the relative short sales history, perhaps it was not as popular as FRS had hoped it would be. The 5000 is still a very good radio, especially now since there is third party software available. No company is perfect, but in my mind FRS is way ahead of the competition. Many people, like yourself say they want to listen to see how much activity there is. Start talking and you might be surprised to see how much fun 2M SSB can be! I run it often, and 200-300 mile QSO's are not uncommon, even with a modest antenna.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.