Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL April 2019 Updates

124»

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Congrats David.  I got a call about my PG-XL yesterday.  It's suppose to ship in 2 or 3 days.

Interesting that my order was placed on 12/10/17 and yours was placed about 5 months later, and our orders are being filled the same week.  Either Flex must have received a lot PG-XL's from 4o3A or not many orders were placed between December '17 and May 18.  Either way it's great to see FRS catching up with their PG-XL backlog.

• Presley, W5PD
    Presley, W5PD Member
    edited September 2019
    It does not appear that Flex is going strictly by first come first serve. I ordered my PG-XL with deposit earlier than David (N5PSM) and my order number is lower yet I have not heard anything from Flex. I am waiting for the call/email.
  • Warren-K6WKW
    Warren-K6WKW Member
    edited September 2019
    You might want to call and verify they have your correct contact information.
  • Presley, W5PD
    Presley, W5PD Member
    edited September 2019
    The contact info is correct.
  • Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I’m also ahead of him and have not heard from flex yet.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    It seems like I was last on that list.
    The key word is "last"  :)
    PGXL arrvied yesterday and currently in testing.
    It is noisier than Acom2000A but not as bad as I expected.
    So far tested just 1-2hours and only in "Standard mode".
    Need more time to get "to know each other".
    Sergey, KN7K
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Congrats on receiving your PG-XL Sergey.

The PG-XL list was initiated by Dewey, W0YWW based on random forum input, then after Dewey received his Amp I picked up the ball and updated the list a few times based on new forum input.  My Amp arrived so if anyone wishes to continue to add new forum input to the list, please feel free to do so. 

Butch, KF4HR
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Well, I got mine in January of this year and I just had to ship it back for repairs the second time. The first trip the computer board was replaced and this time the initial diagnosis is blown finals. 

I had to reinstall my old 1200w workhorse amplifier from MFJ (Ameritron 1306) which has served me for years without any trouble. I have a second 1306 that has been flawless at my other QTH. I was going to order another Genius to replace that, but now I'm not so sure.

Flex did not offer to pick up the warranty shipping charges the second time around so I had to pay UPS $95 just to get it to Austin. 

We'll see what actually went wrong this time. Probably just operator error, but it sure isn't "foolproof". 

Fred,
    K9SO
  • Warren-K6WKW
    Warren-K6WKW Member
    edited October 2019
    Fred,
    Blown finals is certainly surprising and alarming. Per Flex the power dissipation should be double our expected dissipation and since it's supposed to be SWR protected that should eliminate high voltage and high current abnormal conditions. I hope you'll return and let us all know what Flex says when they receive the amp.  With hindsight, were there any potential signs you saw before final failure (abnormal behavior or performance degradation) or was this a sudden failure simply accompanied by a puff of smoke?
    Warren - K6WKW
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Must have been a major failure. This amp is bye far the best protected in ham radio.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    How do you know, do you have one?

i received mine few days ago and have some concerns/questions.
    will open a separate thread
    Sergey, KN7K 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    No need to attack my comment,,it's bassed on DATA
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Bill, it is nothing to do with attack. You are making statements and I am looking for DATA. Do you have Data to share?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Ok so you intend on taking me to task for saying that it must be an internal failure.
    the DATA? out of thousands of amp hours on the PGXL amps very few if any have blown finnals for no reason. blown finnals are not common.

2nd studing the desgin of this amp compared to many other amps, this amp is redundently protected. It has the fastest response time in the busines. You could actually at full power short out the antenna connecter and you will not even see a spark. That's fast. It would be very hard for a customer to hurt the PGXL no matter what they do.

More DATA?
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    no experience, no idea but as always only blabla, Cheerleader !
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Sergey,

I had a hard failure on my PGXL. Flex' support was great, but I'm not selling my Alpha until the PGXL survives a few contests.

Asher

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.