Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SWR Indication Varies

WA2SQQ
WA2SQQ Member ✭✭

Just noticed something on my 6500, and I’m wondering if its something others have seen.  If I place the radio in TUNE mode (~10W) and look at the SWR, sometimes I can see it jump around, very slightly. Like from 1.2:1 to perhaps 1.3:1 However, neither the SWR meter on my ACOM 1000 nor an external SWR meter show any change.

I’m thinking that perhaps during one of the past updates (v2.x) the display resolution of the on-screen indication may have been changed – such that I’m right on a transition point and the display bounces back and forth. I also thought that it might be a problem with the relay that switches between the two antenna inputs.

Answers

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The lower the transmit power the more sensitive the reverse power is to other sources.  Are there any large local signals?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I see it too, was just looking at it. Looks not to be a problem. What it looks like to me is it is very sensitive.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    on my 6700 running 3.28 using the AT-Auto antenna tuner I see NO SWR jumping here on the Radio SWR meter, or on the WaveNode Power meter reading before and after the AMP/Tuner which I monitor here Remotely, It may be different with a SWR of 1.2 - 1.3 but for 1.1 which I have here there is no changes. 
    WX7Y

• Warren Gaspar
    Warren Gaspar Member
    edited October 2019
    I have a similar problem during xmit. The SWR is 1 to 1 then climbs to 2.5 during an FT8 xmsn on 80 and 160 meters. Lower power seems to negate the problem. It
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I would expect to see a slightly different SWR when you're measuring it at different points along the cable. Last winter I had a problem while running ft8 similar to the one mentioned here. That turned out to be a bad relay in the remote antenna switch. If you running more than a hundred Watts and you may have a high SWR I suspect that's why the relay contacts may have failed. my observation is just that this isn't causing me a problem but I was curious.
  • Logan KE7AZ
    Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I had a similar issue when running high power. I found that a tree branch had come in contact with the antenna. At 100 watts, no problem. However, at high power things were fine until the branch started to smolder! Then the SWR started to climb. A little tree trimming and things were fine, again. Logan, KE7AZ
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Warren,
    What you are describing is typically a ferrite core (balun or current choke) heating up, often when the swr is fairly high
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    No, because I'm seeing it on several bands (different antennas), even running only10W.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.