Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

radio comes on with transmit on the wrong "vfo"

Stephen Hawkins NG0G
Stephen Hawkins NG0G Member ✭✭
Operating on some band split with DX on A and pileup and transmit on B.  I shut down for the night.  When I power up the next morning everything is as I let it except transmit is now on A.  To get back to how I left it I have to reload the profile.   Much to my embarassment this caused me to inadvertently transmit on the DX stations frequency.  On power up the radio is coming up on the band I was on at shut down and on the same frequencies as if it reloaded the profile but it has moved transmit  to "A", so it clearly did not reload the profile.

Answers

• W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited October 2019
    same problem here
    and I hate transmitting on the dx freq

Oh well. I'll just have to monitor my tx freq more closely
    Profiles are difficult to totally understand. And I don't.

Wish I could suggest something to you. I've read all the profile helps, etc.
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    edited October 2019
    I don't think either of us is doing anything wrong, or that we missed configured something.  I think it is a bug that I would like fixed.
  • Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin
    edited March 2020
    Global profiles do not automatically load at boot up. They only load when directly commanded to load.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    What version of SmartSDR are you running when this happened
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    This is not an issue with the new releases of SSDR. It's been around for a while.
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    edited October 2019
    The problem is that it looks like it loads the profile.  The band is where  you left it and the two frequencies are exactly where you were.  Everything is the same but the "transmit" is now on "A" instead of "B".
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    edited October 2019
    The day that I made the original post I was, and am, on V2.6.1.146

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2019
    If you are operating Split, Slice A is the transmit slice and B is the RX slice.  If you change that up, you have to disable the Split feature.
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    edited October 2019
    What you see in the photo is on one band or another (40m80m,160m) 95% of my operating.   And other then the 6400M's two internal computers not booting up where I left them it works great.  How many slices am I using?

• N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I had an odd thing in 2.6.1 as well on 40 meters working split tRX on A TX on B all was fine I then tried going to 20 meters while the display showed 20 the RX was still 40 it went into cross banding I had to go back to 40 and **** the A slice then back to 20 to get it to work correctly at first I thought perhaps a glitch But since your post I wonder if it is in the new software I stopped using 2.6.1 because the audio drops and BSOD so I can't check it out again
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    edited October 2019
    In the photo above how many slices am I using?

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    A is one slice and B is another slice. Looks like two slices to me.
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    edited October 2019
    I am still unclear about technically what constitutes a "Slice".   Because it's all software and A to D converters I can see a situation where the software uses one A to D converter digitizing the band you were on and the software picking two spots to listen to and one to transmit on.   Does a slice mean one A to D converter and one frequency?   If you are listening to two frequencies on one band is that one slice or two?  I can see how it could be either way depending on how the software works and I'd like to know.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    You don't say what radio you are using. In Flex terms the A-D converter is the SCU (Spectral Capture Unit) . An SCU can be connected to only one antenna port at a time.
    An 6400 has one SCU and affords two slices for example.  So you can choose any two frequencies within the full frequency range of the radio.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Stephen, your on the right track.
    The SCU see's the entire HF spectrum all in one shot. In the software, it breaks the spectrum down into ham bands. Depending how you were using the radio when it was shut down by default it starts up on one SLICE. Then you can add a SLICE if you want, perhaps up to 4 or more depending the model of your radio.

In your picture you have two SLICES up, slice A and slice B each are seperate receivers. with two up you can run spit. You have slice B as the TX slice. But if you delete slice B only slice A will remain. Then next time you restart the radio it will start up on slice A.
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    edited October 2019
    I have a 6400M and Bill your explination was the info I was looking for.   Almost.  If I shut the radio down as it is in the photo above then restart it without reloading the profile it comes up with two working slices / receivers and they are on the frequencies I was using when I shut down.  I can hear on them both independently.  The only thing changed is the fact that the radio moved "TX" from B to A. which is how all this got started.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Unless something is telling it change active slice like a profile, then if you make sure you shut down with A as active slice, then when you restart it should start in the same condition you turned it off. If your profile is saved with slice B as active, then it will start like that.
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    edited October 2019
    The profile is written to start up the radio exactly as you see it on the photo.  Operating split with B slice the TX.  If I shut down the radio exactly as you see it in the photo then in a minute or a day I start it back up it comes up exactly as I left it with two slices and they are on the frequencies I was using when I shut it down.  The only difference is that now "A" has TX not "B" to put it back right I need to reload the profile.  Since at first glance everything looked just as i had left it I did not notice that the radio have moved TX.  So I as mentioned when I started this thread much to my embarrassment this caused me to inadvertently transmit on the DX stations frequency.  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Ok, that is an intended action. The software has persistances that remembers how your radio was last used, it calles up the last known state. If you want to reset it to the way a profile was saved then a profile selection is needed. Just need to remember that.
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    edited October 2019
    The last known state was with TX on "B"  When the radio comes up after a shutdown it comes up in almost the last known state but not quite, for it has changed TX to "A".
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    That sounds like a persistance data base problem. Do a factory reset to clean out the persistance data base, then bring back your profiles. See if this corrects it.
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    edited October 2019
    OK. I'll give that a shot.   Let me get my HazMat Suit and see if I can find a Windows computer.
  • Robby
    Robby Member
    edited March 2020
    I have also had this problem of transmitting on the DX frequency. It is a humiliating experience. Several ops may be parked there waiting for me to make this mistake so they can say "UP UP Idiot".

Hmmm. You think it is someone else and you keep doing it until you realize that the idiot is you! :-)

If you are listening to a DX station on slice A and he indicates that he is working split, he will give his call and say up.

Upon hearing this I click on the split icon in the flag. This immediately results in slice B opening above the one in use. I was listening on slice A so slice B opens (on cw) 1 khz above. It has the focus and TX.

Since it has focus I can use my mouse wheel or flex control to browse the pileup. If I want to send my call, and I do so with my paddles my call will be sent somewhere in the pileup. This is good. If I hit F4 in N1MM my call is sent on the DX stations frequency. TX moved to slice A the DX frequency. This is a bad thing.

It seemed to indicate that the problem was in N1MM+ but I could not find a setting that would cause the TX to change slices.

After testing a lot on a dead band I finally looked at the CAT setting for N1MM+. Auto Switch TX was enabled. I disabled it and now every thing works fine.

Like many other transceivers that I have used over the years, my Flex 6400 wants to transmit on slice B (VFO B) when in split mode. That is also what I want it to do. It was the setting in CAT that was sometimes causing me grief. Still learning.

When I operate split with myself as the DX station I use slice B on my calling frequency and it has TX. Slice A is higher in freqency and has focus and I can pick out stations calling me.

I hope this helps with problems others are having with unexpected TX changes.

-Robby
    HP3SS

• Ken Wells
    edited October 2019
    Check your CAT and N1MM configurations.  You may have the CAT port used for CW sending, or the N1MM program configuration set up to auto-switch to Slice A as default.  If so, then it will automatically send on Slice A because it is being told to do so by the configuration. 

(This is just like using Auto-Switch to link to your FT8 Program that is always on a particular slice to make sure you always send on the designated slice.)

• Robby
    Robby Member
    edited October 2019
    Please read my previous post.

"After testing a lot on a dead band I finally looked at the CAT setting for N1MM+. Auto Switch TX was enabled. I disabled it and now every thing works fine."

The problem is solved. At least for me.

There was no problem with N1MM+ configuration or Flex or SSDR. It was the CAT setting "Auto Switch TX". It needs to be disabled. Perhaps always for conventional modes.

"In N1MM+ configuration I could not find a setting that would cause the TX to change slices automatically."

-Robby
    HP3SS
  • Ken Wells
    edited October 2019
    Hi Robby. I was actually responding to someone above but it put my post under yours. I had not seen your line about Auto-Switch. It looks like we both came up with the same solution! Have a great day!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.