Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New PGXL with Drop off power issue

Tom OBoyle
Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
I just received the unit and I saw that it was dropping out of power. I connected to a dummy load and at 25 watts of drive, when the amp gets to a certain point, a high pitched fan kicks on and the amps VDD drops to 0 and no power out. I am including a youtube video link of the screen with audio so you can hear the fan.

Settings for the PGXL are no Meffa and fan in contest mode. PTT via LAN and connected to a 6700.

https://youtu.be/utJPwwNyh2A

I have submitted a ticket with Flex but thought I would see if anyone else had any ideas.

Comments

• John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don't have that amp and never even touched one. At a guess, I'd say you are trying to drive it to hard from 120v and the amp is kicking out due to the amp draw.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Hi Tom - Sorry to hear you're having a problem with your Amp.  I received my PG-XL a couple of weeks ago and it seem to be working perfectly.  I've never heard the fans on my Amp ramp up that quickly (or have it loose power).  If you haven't done so already my suggestion is to do a Reset on your PG-XL.  The procedure is described on page 38 of the PG-XL manual.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I would agree, it could be a condition it was left in while testing at the factory.
    Reset!
  • Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I just did a reset...  It did change things...Fan does not kick on as fast but that temp sure goes past 60 deg C pretty quickly.

I'm also checking the AC power as I agree with John, it could be an issue...  
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Tom are you running your PG-XL on 120vac?  If so, that's probably the issue.  To give you a point of reference, with 25 watts of drive (Tune mode) at 3.8mhz my Amp is putting out 805 watts, and legal limit occurs with 43 watts of drive.  (My line voltage going to my Amp is 248vac, and tests done into a dummy load.  Output power measured on a LP-700 Digital Station Monitor.)
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Vdd seems a bit low, doesn't it?
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Oops, I didn't look close enough at your video and missed the indicated 116vac.  Let us know how it works with a 220vac line.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.