Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FT8 On iPAD

Comments

• G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I've had this happen too, so it might be something to look into.  However I had the satisfaction at sitting at a supermarket cafe this afternoon and working the world on FT8 and I didn't look remotely geeky (as far as I know!)
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I noticed too that it doesn’t like to send 73 after receiving RR73, which sometimes confuses the other station. Justin KL2D
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    to Marcus
    or
    to any one else who may know

i was wondering how to select one or more BUT NOT all entries from the log to export as adif file. 

Right now not obvious to me how to do that .

when i click on one log entry it just brings up a detailed display of that single log entry but dont see how to export just that one.

the reason i ask is i have one master log in MLDX
    and that i import all my logs from various devices into that master log.

TIA
    Paul K3SF

• DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited September 2019
    Could that be a Time format issue? I indeed add the Time to the log in UTC and 24hrs format and colon between hrs and minutes. However, I will double check.
  • DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited September 2019
    It would not be correct to answer an RR73 with 73. A 73 would only be correct after an RRR or 73 and that's how my App handles it.

But yes, I also noticed some HAMs who don't know this and they continue to send RR73 until they have a 73.
  • DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited September 2019
    Paul, I thought about that. I though about remembering the last exported entry so subsequent entries can be exported with the next export. I also thought about the possibility to select the entries that should be exported. For all options I did fall back to the way how it is today because all options have their disadvantages. I want to keep things simple.

So I left it as is and didn't run into an issue so far (and to be honest, never thought again about this) because the logging Software I am using (Log4OM and I think the same was the case with N1MM when I was using it in the past) just warns but ignores all entries that already exist and will just add new entries.

I also ran into a situation where I had a wrong entry which I had to delete in Log4OM and in order to get it not back again, I also had to delete it in my App which can easily be done by swiping.

Which logging software ar you using? And doesn't it ignore already existing entries as well when importing?

Marcus
  • DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited September 2019
    oh, and regarding auto-sequence missing entries, just be patient for the next version. It's still sitting at Apples Desk (for quite some time now)
  • Phil - AA4MY
    Phil - AA4MY Member
    edited September 2019
    JTDX generates an RR73 by default (instead of an RRR); that's why you are seeing it.  If I also remember correctly, the latest release of WSJT-X also uses RR73 as well.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    hi marcus

i use MacloggerDX (MLDX) by Don Agro. It seems it does not filter out what may appear to be a duplicate when importing an adif.

i can run a duplicate scan to find and ID duplicates ONLY after they have been entered into the MLDX log.
    My work around now is  to delete log entries in the FT8 'tools' AFTER i confirm it in my master MLDX log.

like you said, i can delete a log entry in Log Tool by swiping left as you said on the entry and hitting DELETE

for me this works....

i completely understand the variability that can happen with the differing log programs...

i always enjoy using the s/w you develop...

thanks again
    Paul K3SF

• Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited September 2019
    Paul: MacLoggerDX has a "Reject Duplicates" option when importing ADIF...

Import Options:
    • Import Addresses - ADIF addresses do not always parse correctly into street, city, country.
    • Reject Duplicates - This can be useful if you are constantly importing from the same ADIF file but only want to capture the new QSOs.
      A duplicate QSO is one where the times-on are within one minute, the RX frequencies are within 10 hz. and the Call signs are identical.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    hey thanks Don...

i learn something every day...
    but
    i dont see any preference setting in 6.25.20b
    and
    i keep getting multiple dups when i import adif file

i will email you off line from here

Paul K3SF
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited October 2019
    It's an option in the Import ADIF dialog - has been for years.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    well after some emails with Don, mldx does work exactly like he says....

it is not a preference but the option button appears on the bottom of the import screen....

DUH...operator error once again

i have looked right thru this option button for all the years i  have been using MLDX

i am all set now
    and
    i want to thank both Don and Marcus for their patience with me...

Paul K3SF

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Playing with it now.....how do you get back to the TOOLS menu? All that shows is Panadapter, the Radio, FT8 and Settings.
  • Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Upper left corner of the FT8 screen...
  • DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited January 2020
    Hi Charlie:

while in the FT8 Tool, either tap on the Back button at the top left corner (which says "Tools").

The second option is just to tap again on the FT8 button at the bottom.

Hope this helps.

Marcus, DL8MRE

P.S. Bill, you were quicker. Thanks!
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The biggest problem I'm seeing is the DT. I've only successfully worked 2 stations with low DT. And I'm local on the WLAN.
  • DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited October 2019
    Charlie, this should have been solved with the latest update 3.5. Can you please try and confirm.

Thank you!

Marcus, DL8MRE
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I'm using the FT8 app on my iPad but I don't like the DT being so high. Marcus do you have a fix for that?
  • DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes Bob, the latest update 3.5.
    Are you using it?
    Marcus
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Yes, I will......has it been released by Apple yet?
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Yes
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Marcus:  I now have the new version.....DT is MUCH better. The auto-sequence still needs some work. After the R-16 (for example), it doesn't proceed to a RR73 or RRR sequence. I know that SOME people dont send beyond that point, but in my experience (WAS on 6 bands FT8 and DXCC on FT8) most won't log the qso without proceeding to a 73
  • DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited October 2019
    Thanks Charlie, good to know that your DT issue is resolved.

Regarding your comment about 73, this is intentionally so. There is a reason why there is an RRR and an RR73. An RR73 does not require a 73. If one has enough time and likes to see a 73, he needs to send a RRR, otherwise a RR73 does end the QSO. I know, some people don't know this and ask for a 73 even if they sent an RR73 but I though it's not right to change my App in a way that supports this mistake.

This is explained in more details in the Manual, chapter "A few FT8 Basics".

However, you can always send a 73 manually by quickly disable AUTO, tap on the QSO line where the other side sends his Report (to get his callsign back in the DX entry field) and select the 73 Message. I think these are just three taps and from my perspective better than to let the App misbehave.

Thanks again Charlie.

Marcus, DL8MRE
  • Brian_W9HLQ
    Brian_W9HLQ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I am copying FT8 fine on the iPad, but there is no  transmit.  The PTT does key the rig, but no audio via DAX to the rig.  I do run SSB remote with no problem.  What setting have I overlooked?  Tnx for a nice addition to SSDR for IOS.  Brian, W9HLQ
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Check your DAX settings on the radio. Sometimes, I've had to restart DAX to get the TX button to light up.

Charlie
  • Micha / DO3MKA
    edited October 2019
    Hi ,
    I had the same Problem
    Reset the Radio , eliminates this Problem !
    Backup the settings first .

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I notice a nice improvement in sequencing and decoding if I drop the panadapter fps rate down. Since I’m not looking at the waterfall while running FT8/4, 1 fps is totally fine.

• Brian_W9HLQ
    Brian_W9HLQ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Micha,   tnx for the suggestion.  I did reset the radio with no improvement.  I went to my laptop and started Fldigi thinking I had a WSJTX problem.   The tune button worked for Fldigi, so I went back to the iPad and now the rig keyed on FT8 and I had RF output. I worked one station to prove it was working.  I rebooted the iPad with no difference.  I tried to change my profiles from the iPad and that did not work.  I think I will wait for the next release of SSDR or IOS.  
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
     When my iPad is in Dark Mode, the FT8/4 screen colors are not correct - text and background are the same color. Highlighting a line changes the background and allows reading.

Thanks for all the work, Marcus!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.