Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New V2.6 AutoTuner Bug

Mike VA3MD
Mike VA3MD Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
  I am using V2.49 with no trouble except Windows 10 update which was easily fixed. I installed V2.6 and discovered that my internal Autotuner would not tune some bands on my Carolina Windom. On 3.6 Mhz the tuner would not tune at all, SWR 3:3, on 3.75 tuned ok. on 14 meter band and the 10 meter band it would not tunel. The funny thing is if a cleared the memories I would get a one time tune only and back to no tune.
            Reinstall V2.49 and all started to work as normal, I am almost at the point of selling my radio. Flex needs to be more diligent in there software versions, I installed 2.51 and found that smartlink would let me in so I when back to V2.49. 
          This is not a "this piece of junk rant", your product is one of the best out there but please look at how you vet the software. We should not have one after another faults with a new Install.

Michael, VA3MD

Comments

• James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited September 2019
    Try to clear the tuners memories
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    James,, I did exactly that with my Carolina Windom Antenna, 40-6 meter antenna... I normally re-set everything after an upgrade, no big deal... Hopefully Michael will do the same.. Welcome to the world of SDR radio and ADVANCED software application.. Been on my laptop and 6600M with 2.6, Stackers, Slicemaster, everything is working as it should.. 

Robert
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    VA3MD, the tuning problems your having has not been widely reported from all the other customers. It looks like the problem is a condition to your install.
    After installing a factory reset is needed, did you do that? Even after rolling back it is a good idea.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I have similar ATU issues on 80 meters on version 2.5.1. Nothing is tuning correctly on 80 meters like it was in 2.4.9.
  • Mike VA3MD
    Mike VA3MD Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hi Bill
                I think that a factory reset would be the case if if was on all installed versions but just to go back to a older install and worked I would say no. Why should I have to completely redo my system on a new upgrade, I am not being difficulty but I would like some answers.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I am using v.2 3.9 because any version higher had glitches with CW, QSK, Recording. Now I read the new DAX forgets that it already updated?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Mike, it is just a good practice. Mostly when people have strange problems that are not consistant with all users. 
    It is not needed to completly re build your system after an upgrade, just import your profiles, in 3 seconds all is back the way you left it.

After any new upgrade, always factory reset your radio.....
  • Mike VA3MD
    Mike VA3MD Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Steven a friend of mine with a 6500 only uses v.2.3.9 because of the issues with higher versions.

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Seeing flacky results on my 6700 running 3.1.7. Have to click ATU button numerous times to get something near 1.2:1. Often the search stops with a 1.7 or higher SWR but if keep trying eventually a lower match will result. 
    Have done numerous resets, cleared memories etc.  
  • Larry - W9FLA
    Larry - W9FLA Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I have seen the same thing with my 6700.  There was no change that I noticed between earlier versions until I went from v2.4.9 to v2.6.0.  Suddenly it took many attempt to to match my antenna on 80m.

A sweep of the antenna's SWR showed no apparent change.

A help ticket was opened with the resolution that perhaps the SWR (less than 3:1) put the program in an awkward place where it was hard to converge to 1.75:1.

I also pointed out that the MEM function now operated as a "Write Only Memory".  The 1.75:1 match can be used, but if the MEM is cycled Off, with the desired match stored, this solution is no longer available when the MEM is again turned On.  This then requires multiple attempts to restore the correct match.  Indeed, sometimes the tuning process would show "Success Mem" but the SWR value displayed with the Tune function would be the same as when the ATU was bypassed!

This AM, I decided to upgrade to 3.1.7.  After installing it, it could not obtain a license.  This PM, I saw the license server problem and, after several more hours, downgraded to 2.4.9.  Now my ATU quickly finds a match, as it did before, and I can cycle the MEM function On and OFF without losing the data.  Sigh!!!

• HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

Hope everyone who has encountered this problem with the new versions has submitted a trouble ticket like you did, with as many specifics as possible.  That way it’s sure to get Flex’s attention.

In the meantime, it might help to add a section of coax to see if it helps, since impedance seen by the ATU changes with feedline length (for non - 1:1 SWRs).  It doesn’t address the root cause, but easy to try and might in some cases get the impedance out of an “awkward place” as Flex put it.

BTW, I have a 80-10M OCF dipole.  It was a little tricky getting a match on all bands at first, and there a still a few ranges on that antenna which require an external tuner. 

Still on v2.4.9, and will probably hold off upgrading a bit longer for now until this is resolved.

Howard

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I have seen this same behaviour as well since upgrading from 2.4.9 to 2.6. I find tho, that pressing the ATU button multiple times will eventually get it to actually look for and find an appropriate match.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    After speaking to Ken @ Flex support here is their response:

"I think that generally the radio is set to stop at 1.7:1 on difficult matches in order to limit the time it sends a carrier out on the air.  Generally this match is "Close enough" and the finals in the radio will handle it with no problem, and may not even engage the SWR protection power reduction.

It may be that the second push of the ATU Tune button starts it where it left off and lets it find a better match within the time window."

My radio seems to be performing as designed. 

• Larry - W9FLA
    Larry - W9FLA Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The bug persists in v3.1.8.  Also, as with v2.6.0, the MEM becomes a "Write Only Memory" and loses access to the stored band segment match when cycled from On to Off and back On.  It then can take, in my case, many (six or even more) presses of the ATU button to get the ATU relays to energize and indicate a result other than Byp.  To further frustrate me, when the "Success   Mem" is finally displayed, a check with the Tune button can sometimes show that the match result is not valid.

Note that with v2.4.9, on the same frequency (3.82 MHz) and antenna (ANT1), the match is found the first time the ATU button is pressed and the match value is retained when the MEM button is cycled from On to Off and back On.

Again, Sigh!!!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I just had a problem with mine, then realized the MON button was lit.
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    As I noted before, I have the problem where I need to press the ATU button multiple times to get a 'reasonable ' match and I'm sure the MON button is off.
  • Jim G3YLA
    Jim G3YLA Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Another me too here... very difficult getting a match on the new 2.6.1 after upgrade from 2.4.9  Antennas not changed and checked out ok, so its definitely the rig tuning which seems to have changed. Usually takes several goes, like 6 or more to get a match, whereas before it was one pass and job done.

I will submit a ticket...

73 de Jim
    g3yla

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Hi Guys... I submitted a Help Support Ticket on this and it has been identified as a possible software defect #7727.  For now, I've reverted back to 2.4.9.

Don
  • John, G3WKL
    John, G3WKL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Same, here, detailed help ticket and feedback that it's a suspected software bug. Also referenced as #7727

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.