Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart SDR on new Surface Pro X (Windows ARM)

Jeff Scaparra
Jeff Scaparra Member
edited October 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Microsoft just unveiled the new surface pro x today which is running Windows 10 for **ARM**. I know that SSDR is a .net app so I don't think flex really has a lot of work to do, if any, for this to work. I don't know if there are any compiled parts of the software that would need to be recompiled though. The new platform is interesting and my question is would Flex be committed to supporting that platform?

Asking here because I would assume others are interested.

Answers

• David Hickman
    David Hickman Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I would not hold my breath. While the app is a .net app, thus it should run well under the wow32 system, the problem is the Dax and cat drivers. They are intel only and will not work. I run a the Lenovo arm laptop based on the snapdragon 850 and it is impressive what runs on that thing. With LTE running 24/7 it still gets well over 15 hours of use between charges. I have mine upgraded to windoze. 10 pro ARM64 and I love it. However SmartSDR will not work on it due to the driver issue. :(. I hope this will change in the future, I see this direction of ARM based win10 with full support for win32 at this time and a planned win64 apps as a good idea and the future.
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Did you try the newest SmartSDR release? I believe the driver issues have been corrected.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I think he means drivers for ARM-based systems. Drivers are low-level programs that are closely-tied to the underlying hardware.
  • htperry
    htperry Member ✭✭
    Reviving this thread to ask if in 2022 SSDR will work on the Surface Pro X via LTE.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭

Operation over LTE should be fine, but that ARM processor is a wildcard.

I suspect that the ARM processor and OS can run x86 software just fine, but I don't know.

sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Ken, N2VIP

• Jim Fuller
    Jim Fuller Member
    As pf today, SmartSDR will not install on the ARM processor. Version 3.3.32 came up with an error stating that is was for x86 only. I got one of Samsungs new books with Windows 11 to carry when traveling, but found it uses the ARM Processor.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭

Are you aware of this:

The company has released a support document that details which Arm chips officially support Windows 11. They include the Microsoft SQ1 and SQ2 chips, along with Qualcomm processors, such as the Snapdragon 8cx and the Snapdragon 850.

Support Document:

might be worth a try, supposedly supports 32 & 64 windows executables under Win11 on SOME ARM CPUs.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.