Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RTTY SO2R Guide - N1MM+

Roland HB9VQQ
Roland HB9VQQ Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
All the related docs are pretty outdated. Is an up-to date guide available for SSDR 3 and the 6000 Series ?

Cheers

Answers

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I have the same question.  I tried a few months back before a RTTY contest, and never did get it working.    None of the current docs go into enough detail for the MMTTY settings, and the N1MM settings.  I could get one or the other to key the radio, but when both were configured, it did not work.
    No one at the time replied to the forum threads with enough instruction or pointers to docs to make it work.

If there is anyone using all of:  MMTTY, N1MM+, and a Flex 6000 series radio, and has it working,
    would they bill willing to post setup screens from all three, including MMTTY?   Or would they be
    willing to chat on the phone, or even log into my rig using teamviewer?

If someone helps me get this going, I volunteer to write a new, current, 2019 "How To" document
    for posting both on the forum and on Flex's website.

Cheers,

Neal
  • Roland HB9VQQ
    Roland HB9VQQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    HI Neal, after a couple of hours with try-and-error I have it working finally. I am using N1MM+ Version 1.0.7952.0, two independent installs of MMTTY Version 1.70k and a Flex 6600 with SSDR 3.1.7.
    I'd be happy to help through a remote session, but I am in a completely different timezone :-( But I think we can work something out in terms of date and time.

Still, it would be nice if the flex docs would get updated or added regarding N1MM+,SSDR and SO2R.

• K5XH
    K5XH Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I know it is possible using 2.4.9 (I'm still hanging on to that version). I have used the same basic setup as Roland in several RTTY contests. The last one was the Roundup back in January and I haven't been able to play in another one since then. So now I am setting things back up for the CQ WW RTTY this weekend. I would like to see an updated "how to" guide just to see if I am doing things right!
    Neal, I can send you details on how I do it if you get around to writing a new "manual". 

73, Mark  K5XH  (#10 W/VE SOHP in last RTTY RU )

• Roland HB9VQQ
    Roland HB9VQQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Basically almost everything is working fine in my RTTY SO2R setup except for the bandmap. Whatever I do I only get one single Bandmap for slice-2. No Bandmap for slice-1....
    Any ideas ?
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Rolland, any chanse you could post a couple o screenshots with your most basic settings of N1MM+ and MMTTY? Been trying all day to make it work without success. Just would like to be up and running SO1V, a basic setup. Had plans on doing a few Q in CQWW RTTY. But right now this is driving me nuts ;)

• Roland HB9VQQ
    Roland HB9VQQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Sure. quick and dirty...

1.) Make sure you have slice A and slice B in SSDR and DAX Channels configured. Also make sure "FDX" and "DAX" are enabled.

2.) Make sure that N1MM focus helper is selected

3.) Make sure you have CAT Ports for Slice A and B and OTRSP. Your COM Ports might be different ones

4.) Make sure your DAX looks like this

That's it for the SSDR config.More N1MM config screens to come, got to leave for now...
    My config is reflecting a SO2R setup.

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Great Roland! Tnx!  I think I might be on the right track now. I can decode with MMTTY stand alone. I can PTT and send the pre-programmed messages. Spent hours reading everything I have been able to find (Google is my friend ..) 

But when finally reading through the "Help" file in MMTTY .. That's when things started to come together :)  With your settings and some more reading I do hope to be able to get MMTTY to work with N1MM as well. 

Your help is much appreciated Roland! There might be a chanse of some contest Q's next weekend .. 
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited September 2019
    Hi Roland: When you get time later this week, can you please post screenshots of the mmtty config screens, and then the N1MM+ config screens? Cheers, Neal
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    here are some more shots...
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    notice I have this set to a 915 mark.. if you choose to do this make sure you set it up both in MMTTY and SmartSDR, as well as ensure your TX passband is set correctly.
  • Roland HB9VQQ
    Roland HB9VQQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Here comes the second part the N1MM+ config screenshots

1.) Make sure your Hardware setup looks like this (agn COM Port numbers according your SSDR CAT setup)

For Radio #1= Slice A = Slice 1

For Radio #2=Slice B = Slice 2

And last but not least the OTRSP Port

2.) Digital Modes tab. Two instances of MMTTY required!

3.) Mode control

Done. Click on OK.

4.) Select Config --> Logger+ Audio Setup

Close window

Once you are done with this you should have 2 Entry Windoows, one for each slice, 2 DI interfaces and two RTTY decde engines. Similar to this 

5.) Configure DI-1 and DI-2

Click Setup --> Settings

Save Settings

6.) Configure RTTY Engine 1

Click Option(O) --> Setup(O)...

Click OK

7.) Configure RTTY Engine 2

Click Option(O) --> Setup(O)...

Click OK

That's it I believe but I am pretty sure I forgot something... let me know...

Now when you click on the TX button in the DI-1 window Slice A in SSDR should go to TX. Same for DI-2 and Slice B.

I hope this helps.

• Roland HB9VQQ
    Roland HB9VQQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hi Chris, thanks for your screenshots. I notice you are using different settings for the Demodulator. The default settings I am using look like this

Any good reason why you have different settings ? 

TU 73
    Roland
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Looks like someone at that station was experimenting with IIR vs FIR filters..  using the default is fine.  the 2125 highlighted is the mark frequency, I keep mine lower (915)because I think the side tone is more pleasant to listen too.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited September 2019
    The above screen shots help a huge amount.   I think I follow most all of it, except for a question:
    What is OTRSP?

Work is crazy long this week, but I plan to try all of this setup out on Friday night.
    If I get it working, I honestly will write a config guide article and give it to Flex, plus
    post it here for review, comments, and corrections.
    If I don't get it working, I will post questions and email you guys, and THEN write the guide.

Cheers,

Neal
    N6YFM

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    OTRSP = open two radio switching protocol.  You can create a smart cat port for OTSRP,  set up an N1MM OTRSP  instance to connect to it,  then use the key strokes of the protocol to operate 2 band slices simultaneously for SO2R operation.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019

Create a new port, select OTRSP as the port protocol.. and ensure radio 1 is slice a and radio 2 slice b
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    so your smart cat will also need a com port setup for Slice A, and a separate com port setup for slice B
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019

It should look like this, radio nr should be both..  two radio protocol is OTRSP

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    PS all of this is well documented in the SmartSDR SO2R setup guide, available in documentation section of flexradio.com
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I will try and update some of this, and maybe do a video of the setup.  but will be hard to pull off prior to CQWW

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Big Thank you Chris for all the information. Will go through it after work today and try to make everything work. I'll be setting up SO1V, no SO2R,  while I find no reason without having bandfiltering in place.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Johan,  actually even if only on 1 band at a time, having 2 panadapters in an SO2R configuration on the same band, using OTRSP would give you the ability to search and pounce stations as you maintain a run frequency.. upping your game.  Something to consider.  we call this modified SO2V in the flex world.. no other radio can really do this at this level so it is unique.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    RR Chris. I have never done RTTY. It's kind of a first this weekend. But you are right in this, I'll might as well set up for SO2V. Tnx for your advice, much appreciated.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I have SSDR up and running with N1MM+ and using MMTTY as the RTTY engine. When keying from N1MM the radio front button changes to Red, spectrum indicates PTT as well, but it's not keying the amp and I get no output.

Looking at DAX I can see at TX that it's indicating TX but I don't get any output at all. Tried changing TX ouput from 50-85, no change.

Just can't get any power/output. Tried as much as I can think of as well as reading manuals. Where am I going wrong??

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Not sure what I did? Went through all settings one more time. Restarted everything including radio. Suddenly I can transmitt, have done my first contest RTTY Q's. But still no PTT for the PA.  I'll guess I do my very first CQWW RTTY in LP ;)

Quite fun, but a boat-load  to learn .. 

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Finally managed to get N1MM+ and MMTTY up and running in SO1V configuration. Made a bit over 200 contacts. First ever RTTY contest and first ever RTTY Q's as well. Good fun and I will do it again.

But have a strange phenomena when starting up the software. Radio goes immediately into PTT. Had to push every button I could find related to TX and PTT within N1MM to get radio out of transmitt.

Anyone have experienced the same thing? any suggestion on why? and what to do to correct it? Sure it's a simple setting. But need someone to point me in the right direction Please.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.