Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Pwr Supply Spike

Andy W3LI
Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
When I first got my 6400M I would turn the 35 Amp power supply off after turning the Flex off. I noticed that when I turned the power supply ON a spike would light up the front panel light for just a millisecond ???  That bothered me so now I leave the supply ON and just shut the Flex OFF. However, there is a voltage on the control circuits with in the radio. 
I am thinking about putting a contactor in series with the leads and key that separately maybe with a slight time delay.
Any ideas or problems that you folks have would be appreciated.

Answers

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I built a low current 12 volt DC power supply to FLOAT the voltage, Diode Isolated, so no feedback.. Now when I turn off my Main 35 Amp DC power supply the float voltage will keep the radio in Standby mode.. NOTE!!! Flex states that this FLASH you see will NOT harm the radio,, but I occasionally will see the radio fail to boot up correctly when you **** the DC power to the radio... Keep in mind that when you **** your power supply it will Bleed Off for a second or so,, but powering it on is instantaneous 12 volts.. You do get the FLASH as I call it of the front panel lights..

Robert
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Float voltage is a great idea. The control circuits are hot and ready to work.
    Tnx, Andy...W3LI
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    By any chance did you measure the current on the line with the radio off. I have some 12 vdc @ 500ma wall warts. Maybe???? 
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    No I did not,,, I used a 1.5 amp wall wart that was used to power a Netgear WiFi hub.. The standby voltage has to be very low,, but I never measured it???
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Tnx Robert.
  • Harry Dudley
    Harry Dudley Member
    edited September 2019
    Hi Andy, I always turn off my Flex Radio before turning off the power supply.  Never have an issue of any type.  The only other item using the 12V pwr supply is my Palstar HF Auto Tuner.  I always turn off any connected item before turning off the12 V supply. 
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    My Flex 6700 has the GPSDO installed. With the radio plugged in to my supply, my inline Powerwerx meter shows a current of 0.17A.
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thank you Harry and Mark.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Does the indicator light flash in response to inrush current from the primary input. Usually the inrush current is in response to the main filter caps on the DC side doing there initial charge up. This is assuming that you are using an analog PS. If the indicator is an OVP indicator then it could be over voltage spike triggering the OVP circuits.
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi PAT, not sure what indicator light your are referring to. This is a very fast spike that is just enough to flash the panel lights. Yes, the caps have to charge and there is a delay until the regulator clamps,
    No OVP indicator. Flex says not to be concerned. May try the idea of a float voltage.
    TNX for your comments.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I guess I interpreted the panel light flash as being the PS IT’s self. Thanks for your reply.
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I thank u for being here.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited September 2019
    That is normal and not an issue.  It is not a power spike and isn't a problem that needs to be worried about.  

Have you measured a spike coming from the power supply?

M
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    No longer have a scope fast enough to catch it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.