Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

smartlink

Gary
Gary Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have followed the SmartLink for IOs and looked through the conversations, but I' m not having any luck connecting away from my home network. I'm signed into SmartLink. My iPhone see's the radio, but the button is not available. I've tried to set up the ports forwarding on my Netgear R6220, but not having any luck with it listing ports 4993 and 4994. Anyone have any step by step instructions to help me. Sorry, I just can't have any connection success away from home. Everything works well when I'm on the home wireless.
Thank you in advance for any help. Gary KG5CW

Answers

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I can't help with iPhone issue (if there is one), but I can tell you that you need to set up the router differently than I think you have described.  I've looked at this router's instructions and I see it supports UPnP.  SmartLink uses UPnP when it is available and that is definitely the way to go if you can.

The router's instructions describe how to turn UPnP on.  Once you've done that, you should go back to the SmartLink configuration and select "automatic" configuration.  This will send a UPnP request to the router which should open and forward the necessary ports.

All of this is assuming your router is the only router in  your LAN.  If your ISP gave you a router and you've put the R6220 router behind it (cascaded routers), some special steps will be needed.

You haven't said if you have tested the SmartLink connection from the radio using the "test" button.  If that works, then your ports are correctly forwarded and no additional changes are needed.  If that doesn't work, then there is no need to look elsewhere for a problem.  The "test" button tests the communication paths from the radio to the outside world and back.  If it doesn't work, nothing will work from the outside.

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I just commented about open routers with UPnP push and port forwarding turned on a couple weeks ago... That swings the barndoors wide open for every hacker to access ports on every computer on your network. 

Windows where most of my current experience is for instance is notorious for its security configuration changing during updates...  I just noticed a couple days ago the switch to allow outside configuration of my computer was on ....  I am very dedicated to shutting loopholes to hackers.  Get the correct port numbers, and the correct protocols and open those discrete ports only.  I have permanent NAT reservations by MAC address for each machine.  My network password is random and complex.  Time for tech support to comment on this with setup for that software. Erika DD.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited September 2019
    Hi Gary

Like Dave said, make sure uPNP is turned on.  If it is, you should not have to touch your router at all.  It is automatic.

Make sure you have a look at the manual for SmartSDR.  Section 9 has a well written description on how to walk through setting it up.  If you have any questions at any point of those instructions, do not hesitate to ask.

Mike 
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    If you want to run with UPnP off, and configure port forwarding by hand, that's your prerogative.  UPnP exists for the purpose it is being put to in this case.  Explaining how to configure port forwards for the hundreds of different routers out there is an impossible task.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.