Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex-6500 shuts down with error message PSH1V5-4.10

jfsiepmann
jfsiepmann Member ✭✭
SDR V2.5.1

Answers

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    This is telling you that the 6500 is not getting the voltage it needs.
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thus generally means your external power supply is bad or your cable connection from the supply to the radio is not making a good connection. 73 Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • jfsiepmann
    jfsiepmann Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for the timely information, Larry and Mack.  The condition appeared first with a linear Astron RS-35M and then the same results with two switching supplies and all with the same cables and connections.  The cabling has not been changed in two years of successful operation.  Of course, I removed the cable from the radio and reconnected with same results.

When the ps is activated the radio displays a green light for a second or so.  Does the green light mean anything?

After the green light goes off and I press the radio button the radio displays the message "Shutting down... Error PSH1V5-4.10" and a red light flashes continuously.  Does have any further meaning?

After I press the radio button again the message is "Shutting down" and a very brief additional message that I could not read and shuts down.  Does that sequence have any further information?

John, N9NA
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Place a voltmeter directly into the power pole connectors on the back of the radio cable and Measure the voltage. Be certain the power pole connectors are clean and the cables have not somehow become disengaged. If you know you have a good power supply after checking the voltage then it’s time to submit a help desk ticket.
  • jfsiepmann
    jfsiepmann Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thank you, Mack.  I'll probably do that a little later now.  Have an appointment now.  Thanks very much.
    John, N9NA
  • Dean Davidson
    Dean Davidson Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    an the power pole connectors and be careful and bend the contacts a tiny bit to make a better connection also if you have inline fuse holders clean them and also make those connection tighter also. if you have crimp connectors on power supply end also clean and recrimp and solder them.
    measure voltage at the power poles with radio off turn on and watch the voltage do this before the above and after. please respond back with results. 73's K4ATR
  • Dean Davidson
    Dean Davidson Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    if that don't fix it and voltage stays up at power poles call flex and tell them what you already did .

on above its supposed to start out as CLEAN
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019

So, I did not have this problem, exactly, but I did have one that was power related. I run a lot of AM and a few people commented that they heard a very slight bit of distortion. That got me looking. While using the stacks program I noticed that the internal voltage was dropping .7-.8v @ 100W out. My power cord needed to be ~ 6ft long. Three simple fixes took care of the problem. First, I made a new power cord using #10, super flexible silicon coated wire. I found what appeared to be a very light white film on the main fuse’s blades. I cleaned them and applied, very sparingly, some conductive silver grease to the power connector and to the forks on the two internal fuses. Now, under full load I typically see a drop of .1v, occasionally .2v. No more reports of distortion. I shared this info with FRS and suggested they consider using the conductive grease. Never received a response.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Also had a power related lockup problem....documented the measurements, tools,  and fix on my web page.  The fix was also to clean the fuse. 

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#Low_Voltage_Lockup

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    For anyone thinking of using this conductive grease, use it very sparingly! I applied a small "dot" and spread it out using a pencil eraser I've dedicated to this task. Once the eraser gets impregnated with the grease you barely need to use any. DO NOT apply it across any surface that touched any two connections - it is very conductive!
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    according to Flex, the radio needs to see 13.8 volts at full power, !
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    This matter has been discussed, several times. Rather than reiterate, its probably better to just do a search. I seem to recall Tim suggesting to set your power supply to 14.4V . Under normal conditions this would provide the necessary voltage internally. I prefer sticking by, "if its not broken, don't try to fix it!"
  • jfsiepmann
    jfsiepmann Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

Flex-6500 Shut Down Story Update – 

Thanks much for all the responses.  After it was recommended by DP at Flex Radio that I return the 6500 to Flex under an RMA the radio was evaluated by the service person, GJ.  It was determined that one section of the voltage regulator had failed.  The output voltage then was generating only 9 vdc, not the standard of 12 vdc.  Apparently the 9 vdc caused the failure of the CPU, TRX board and the BGAS.  The failure in the BGAS would require extensive repairs and more repairs could be possibly found.  The potential further extensive repairs resulted in the decision to scrap the 6500 and accept the Flex offer to trade any remainder parts value for the costs of the incurred evaluation.  The failure a small dollar (~$25) partial voltage regulator caused the destruction of a BIG dollar (~ $4,000) Flex Radio.  Yes, the 12 month warranty ended October 2018 and the blade fuse (~<$1) was left intact.   RIP Flex 6500.    

Sept. 30, 2019   John, N9NA

• Dean Davidson
    Dean Davidson Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Wow that sure does worry me 12 months and its dead

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.