Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TX1-3 Optoisolator interface

WA2SQQ
WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas

For those of you who interface external devices via the TX1-3 outputs, I came across a very inexpensive isolation interface to prevent accidentally damaging these ports. I bought mine from the local MicroCenter store, but there are dozens of dealers on EBAY selling them. They come in either 5V or 12V, and anywhere from 1-16 relays per board. The input is an optoisolator. You apply a ground (from TX1-3), and the relay can safely key any external device.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/486581/keyes-2-channel-5v-relay-module

Comments

• Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Super great idea. Tnx
    Andy...W3LI
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    You can even power it off one if the USB ports on your Flex. Good find!
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Never thought of that. These relay boards are cheap and really easy to work with.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Never thought of that. These relay boards are cheap and really easy to work with.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    And the most common, cheapest, and most available are all 5V, so the idea of USB power from the Flex is super - no 12-to-5v converter needed! Even cheaper.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I just used a small 5 volt regulator. This thing draws just a few milliamps.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.