Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Antlion ModMic 4.0 mic profile

Tim K9WX
Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Is anyone using an Antlion ModMic 4.0 with your Flex?  Specifically a 6600?  I know every voice is different, but if you are using this mic and would care to share your settings from your microphone profile, it could help me settle on the settings I will want to use.

Tim K9WX

Answers

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Tim:

It does not matter what mic you use, or whose voice is used with it, as long as you know how
    to monitor/hear/record YOUR audio, so you can adjust it how it sounds good to you.
    Even if someone else had answered that they have that same mic, their voice settings would
    likely be wrong or "blah" for your specific voice.

Ken, one of the Elmers here, put together this great post below.
    Since you have a model 6600 (has full duplex), you can use the same info;

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/how-i-am-now-using-full-duplex-to-monitor-my-ssb-and-am-audio-adjustments

There is a link to his more recent video in the middle of the thread.
    Since each person has a unique blend/balance of high and low frequency
    speech patterns, this procedure will permit anyone to adjust any mic.

I can't recall if the thread mentions it, but you can all use a free Windows Audio Editing program called Audacity to select the DAX audio channel from the Flex, and record your voice while
    transmitting, perhaps 1 watt into a tiny dummy load.   Then you can play it back, and decide
    what else to adjust.

I hope you find the info helpful, and Ken is great at answering additional questions.

Cheers,

Neal
  • Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    For others who might be interested in using this microphone, here's the wiring diagram:

Tim K9WX
  • Holger Hannemann
    Holger Hannemann Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi Tim
    Are you saying there is an adapter cable needed to use the ModMic on a Flex?
    73 Holger, ZL3IO
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    There are three audio tutorials on the YouTube page. Look at the one on monitoring yourself. Then listen to the tour of audio profiles. That will help you decide what kind of audio profile you want. Then do the one on how to adjust your system for a new mic. NOTE... these videos refer to saving your audio profile in the Transmit Profile. They are now saved as a Mic Profile. I hope they help. Please let me know if you need additional help.
  • Holger Hannemann
    edited August 2019
    Hi Ken
    I'm not sure if your reply was meant to answer my question as it didn't. I'm far away from the point of monitoring. I'm not able to create any audio out of the flex. It goes to transmit but no modulation of any kind. The ModMic's were used on the K3's here without any modification but some setting changes (bias voltage). Seeing the sketch from Tim it seems I need to solder an adapter cable. 

I was hoping other users came across this before and had some hints what settings to use with ModMic.

73 Holger
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hello Holger,
    My post was a followup to Neal's response to the original post.
    Yes, from the diagram it seems that you need to solder up an adapter cable.
    The mic seems to connect the tip and ring together, as many computer mics do.
    The Flex uses a pseudo-balanced arrangement where the tip is the positive side of the mic, the ring is the negative side of the mic, and the sleeve is the chassis shield.  If you just plug it in as is, you will short your mic.

Good luck.

Ken - NM9P
  • Holger Hannemann
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for reply, Ken. Made the adapter --> worked, followed the monitoring yourself instructions and all is fine now. Good reports via radio.
    73 & thanks Holger
  • DM5HF
    DM5HF Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I use a stereo to mono Adapter, works greatimage
  • Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin
    edited August 2019
    Great! Thanks to Tim K9WX, too, who provided the diagram.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.