Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexAPI Waterfall Code

Mark Erbaugh
Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR API
Can anyone share some code (C#) or at least explain the process for displaying a waterfall using FlexAPI?

Answers

• Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    That’s an excellent write up. It begs the question, why is the waterfall data so complex? Why couldn’t the same data that generates the panadapter be applied to a gradient and plotted?
  • Doug - K3TZR
    Doug - K3TZR Member
    edited August 2019
    Mark,

I’ve wondered the same thing but don’t have a good answer for you. If you want to look at code, take a look at my GitHub repo for xSDR6000 (the v3 branch is the latest). It’s a SmartSDR-like client for use on the Mac (i.e. Apple Mac). My implementation of a waterfall is there. The code is in Swift but probably readable by a C# programmer. It uses Apple’s graphics approach (Metal) but again, probably pretty readable.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2019
    The waterfall data is actually very similar to the Panadapter data.  However, this requires that we render it in the client.  We chose to leave it this way architecturally for several reasons.  The biggest was that leaving the rendering to the client allows the client to re-render when the display view is changed (zoom in/out, shifted center frequency, color or gain changes).  If we pushed this functionality into the radio, it would burden the radio with additional CPU and memory requirements (per Panadapter) and additional bandwidth whenever changes were made.  Ultimately we are very pleased with the results of what our architecture enables.

Admittedly, it is more complex to setup for developers than the Panadapter, but ultimately this was a price we were willing to pay in order to get the features and performance we were seeking for the sake of our customers.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I figured the reasoning was something like what you said. Thanks for the explanation.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.