Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

how to use a single ethernet cable connected directly to computer?

K5ROX
K5ROX Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I can eventually get my Flex to connect using a ethernet  switch or direct to computer using only 1 ethernet cable going from radio to ethernet port on computer....I said eventually and once I do it works great.

SO What steps are the correct ones?

I reboot computer and radio multiple times and it eventually works but I see no rhyme or reason when it eventually does.

Answers

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I've not done this, but the issue likely involves ensuring the NIC on the PC has not residual settings from previous connection. The direct connect relies on something called 'auto-ip', which is when the computer has no settings set (no IP address), and there is no DHCP server to issue an IP address. This lack of configuration results in the computer NIC inventing an IP address in a pre-defined, standardized range (169.254.0.1-169.254.255.254). To reliably connect a Flex radio to a computer directly, rather than rely on fail-safes and default settings, you could set both devices to two IP addresses in the private, non-reputable ranges (10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2, for example), and set the netmask to 255.255.255.0, don't worry about DNS and gateway settings. With these static IP settings the computer will find the radio no problem.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    For self-assigned IP address allocation to work, both sides of the cable need to have DHCP (auto IP assignment) enabled, and no DHCP server available to do IP address assignment. Further, some implementations will simply use the last stored / allocated IP address unless they either get a kick, which may or may not be delivered by disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet cable. Safest thing to do to hasten the process of self-IP assignment is to do a “DHCP renew” on the PC (how varies with O/S), and reset (soft power off / on) the radio, then wait for the DHCP assignment process to time out (since there is no DHCP server).
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Make sure you don’t have a bad or marginal Ethernet cable.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    If the PC and Flex are set to use DHCP and there is no DHCP server, both will get a default address in the 169.254.0.0/16 subnet and the PC will find the Flex. This is by design.
  • Dave Garber
    Dave Garber Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    did you push and hold the power switch on the flex.  it should go white light, untill it finds you assigned ip number from computer ethernet port  ( if it finds it)   make sure your ethernet port is active in device manager

• K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    done reset, hold power till white.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Well, yeah - isn’t that what I said, with some caveats? No one really cares that the IP address is in the 169. Range :-)
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    "both sides of the cable" wasn't clear to me that you were talking about the PC and the Flex being the "sides", but yes we're talking about the same thing.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.