Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

When you are operating remote

Options
Raymond W Smith
Raymond W Smith Member ✭✭
do you leave your radio turned on 24/7? Is there a feature that will make it available via smartlink if you turn on AC power via a remote switch? 
Trying to learn what settings and equipment I need to have the radio available while working out of town.
Living in Oklahoma I don't like to leave things on when not in use due to frequent lightning.

thanks for your thoughts and input

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    My station runs 24/7/365. But it’s in Southern California where we never get lightning I do have remote web switches on everything with lots of redundancy but mainly use them for rebooting power to devices. You definitely can start devices such as your Flex radio remotely and it should connect via Smartlink ok
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    When I go remote I leave my radio running 24/7.
  • ik3ghr Fortunato
    ik3ghr Fortunato Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    https://sites.google.com/site/sm3jggwebcac/
    Ciao, io uso questo sistema
  • ik3ghr Fortunato
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hi, I use this system
  • ik3ghr Fortunato
    edited August 2019
    Options

• N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I keep my 5K & 6600 on 24/7 unless theirs T-storms than I unplug everything !
    Don't want to mess with mother nature because she will ALWAYS win ! 

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Options
    My 6600 is on all the time, whether home or traveling. Like many I have Internet controllable switches that can toggle power to individual hardware and turn the radio on & off via the Remote On input of turning the DC supply on & off. As far as lightning goes I use PolyPhaser equipment on antenna lines and rotor control cable. Dave wo2x
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hi,
    Since I rarely run remote and the remote is often in the same house, I never leave the radio on all the time.  I live in  Kansas where summer lightning is a way of life so I disconnect my antennas when I am not using the equipment.
    Jim  AD0AB 
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hi

I leave my remote on all the time except for Lightning issues.  

Then, I power down everything (there are many web switches you can do this).  I use NodeRed and KMTronic Web Switches.  I can also turn off my 220AC power to my Amp with an external relay.

My antennas are grounded by a 2x8 Antenna Genius however, nothing will protect from a direct strike other than having insurance.  :)

There is no App that will undo the coax and toss it out the window.  :)

Mike va3mw
  • Raymond W Smith
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I have my 6600 power supply plugged into a digital logger switch. I can turn it off or on remotely.
    The reason I asked this question is that when I turn it on, the 6600 does not seem to connect to smartlink. The front panel power switch stays yellow. It will only connect to smartlink if my XYL goes to the remote site and pushes the front power button 'on' which turns the light green.

Is there a setting I'm missing? Is this normal?

Thank you for your input.

Ray
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options

You need to short the power on/off port at the back of the radio so that it always turns on when power is applied.. I actually have that port connected to my digital logger switch as well via a relay so that I can turn the radio on/off without switching the power
  • Raymond W Smith
    edited August 2019
    Options
    exactly the answer I was looking for, Thank you Howard.

Ray
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Be sure to turn that on in setup window
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I Leave everything off (antennas to ground). I turn everything on when I want to operate (locally or remotely). I used a Power Distribution Unit (ip addressable power **** with both 240 and 120 outlets. I connect to my PC and amplifier thru Real VNC and the Flex with Smartlink and laptop (SmartSDR) or Maestro.
  • Mark G Thomas
    Mark G Thomas Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Please see this thread. https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/remote-power-on-threshold
    Although the above does not spell it out, doing a hard power down by killing the main 12VDC (or 120VAC) without first gracefully shutting down the radio risks software
    corruption. I do not suggest permanently shorting the remote power on connector and using the main 12VDC supply to power on and off the radio--that defeats the purpose of the power control function. I expect Flex support will agree with this statement, and that is why the jack is provided. -Mark KC3DRE
  • BL7IB
    BL7IB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thank you for input.    I got my Flex yesterday and I am also tempted to keep it on 24/7 but scared of lightning.    I will try to make something similar but simplify a little bit, only remote controlled motor to pull the plug.     
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Lightning is a regular occurrence here in the Carolina's.  For that reason I don't run remote.   There are remote disconnect switches you can use, but if a direct strike were to happen, all bets are off.  If you decide to go that route, make sure your home (or ham) insurance covers your equipment.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.