Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FRS Forcing update to 3.0?

Mark Erbaugh
Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I've been using V 2.5.1 for several weeks with my 6700 on SSDR, Maestro and SSDR iOS. This morning I turned on the radio and the Maestro. The Maestro presented a radio selection screen. I selected my radio (the only shown) and the Maestro displayed a Select a Version screen. I selected 2.5.1 which had no icons. 

The Maestro began downloading.  I had to walk away, but when I came back, it looks like the Maestro had downloaded V 3.0.27 and also updated my 6700. Now the screen on the Maestro says BUY. I launched SSDR V 2.5.1 on my PC and it indicated that the radio needed to be upgraded.

Is Flex pulling a Microsoft and forcing upgrades on us? At least Microsoft doesn't force us to buy the upgrades.

Comments

• Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I guess it's possible that the Maestro thought I pushed the v3.0.27 button, when I actually pushed v2.5.1. Maybe the Maestro needs a confirmation screen before upgrading.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited August 2019
    Mark

No change.  You get to select the version you want to run.

Mike
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Just started my Maestro/6600 and it worked as normal, loading 2.5.1.  My only thought is that perhaps your selection of 2.5.1 didn't "take," in which case the cursor would have remained on the latest level.  I have a similar problem if I use a stylus instead of my finger.  For some reason the particular stylus I have is not readily picked up by the Maestro (Ver 2) screen.
  • Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin
    edited April 2020
    Hello Mark,

Thank you for posting this. 

Flex does not force upgrades for our firmware or software. I think your second post is the more likely cause.  I've learned my **** fingers are sometimes not reliable, especially for routine tasks.  Upgrade and other visual confirmations are good ideas and are on the list of UI enhancements we are considering for a future release.  Full disclosure;  enhancements like this are a usually lower priority relative to features ranked in our last survey, for example. 

Dan, N7HQ
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019

If you are "forced" to upgrade, it appears, for some reason, you were running an upgraded version of SmartSDR and didn't realize it.
  • Ora Smith
    Ora Smith Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Once I had an episode in which the Maestro did not show a full selection of SmartSDR versions when I turned it on. I just turned it off and back on again and all was well.  Some kind of glitch maybe left over from a previous shutdown. Who knows?
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I am little surprised someone would take the time to post a suspected problem without disconnecting and trying to reload the proper version. It seems like it would take longer to post the question than it would to trouble shoot the problem.

Not trying to be a ****, but i get discouraged when I see licensed amateurs in a hobby that is based on experimentation, troubleshooting and technology and won't take 5 minutes to go through the most basic diagnosis.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.