Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Wired LAN Packet Drops on Maestro

Lasse Moell
Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Using Flex 6500 and Maestro with 2.5.1, both wired to my LAN. My Maestro seems to suffer from packet loss, not so much that it is "fatal" but enogh to make me curious. Running SSDR on my computer which is on the same wired LAN, shows zero loss. But the Maestro seems to have issues, as it is a lottery when starting if it will be a connection with zero packets dropped, of if is 0.5% or even more. A Maestro restart may, or may not, come up with a "perfect" connection. Remember they are all wired, why is the Maestro dropping packets, but not always? An inproper handshake between router and Maestro? But why does this not happen all the time?

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    There have been reports of incorrect speed negotiation between switches and the Maestro. Some have solved this by forcing the switch port for the Maestro to 100 Mbits (if the switch is capable), others have intentionally used 100 Mbit-only capable switches. If you have an alternate switch or router, try that.
  • WN1X
    WN1X Member
    edited July 2019
    It would be helpful to know what you are using for your LAN infrastructure.
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I am using Routerboard 2011 1GB router. LAN is pretty much "standard" all using DHCP. What else it there to say? I did test with an additional Linksys switch having radio and Maestro attached to this, and the packet dropping was all-time-high.
    Just changed router port to advertise 10/100 only and disable 1Gb. Restarted Maestro and so far no drops. Keep fingers x-ed :)
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    One more suggestion(although I suspect you’ve already tried): marginal Ethernet patch cables can cause weird issues. Have you tried new sets of cables, or swapping them around?
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Have not swapped cables, but after removing 1Gb from beeing advertised, I have restarted Maestro twice and radio once and zero packet drops. Looks like things are under control :) Thanks for the help!
    Update: The latency that sometimes could go quite high, is now down to one figure ms...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.