Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL power supply RFI noise

James Eastham Jr
James Eastham Jr Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Power Genius XL Amplifier
I'm notice an significant amount of  power supply RFI  coming from my PGXL on several bands.  The worst spikes are measuring about 10khz wide at a peak of S4 about every 50 khz across 20 mtrs. 30mtrs and 10 meters also affected although not as severe as 20mtrs.   Anyone else noticing RFI noise from the amp?  Solutions?  
Jim 
NX3Z  

Comments

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    None here on any band. What happens when you connect a dummy load? 73 Mack W4AX
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I had a switching that suddenly failed in regards RFI. One of the filters in the PS failed. Don’t know if it was the mains filter or the harmonic filter in the converter part, but it caused much noise in the sub 1 MHz and lots of spikes above. So maybe the failure is similar to your problem. All it takes is a capacitor to go bad and still have the voltages still be correct. You might want to consult with FRS customer support.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I saw RFI on 6M probably b/c my 6M antenna is closer to the shack than my HF antenna.
    The interference emanates from the Ethernet cable. Perhaps the length of the cable may effect certain bands more than others.  
    Elimination was effected by coiling up several turns of the Ethernet cable [at the amps RJ45 connector] and install small snap-on ferrites around the coil. Hope this helps.
    Bill W2PKY
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Added the DX Engineering Ethernet RFI Filters to Clean up everything Mike
  • James Eastham Jr
    James Eastham Jr Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Put a toroid on the RG8 between the PGXL and my HF Auto Tuner and that knocked the RFI down quite a bit.   Another one will probably clean it up entirely. Thanks for the replys.
    Jim NX3Z

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.